We look at a variety of factors and make selections based on the overall application package. Academic achievement is one of the criteria we look at, but it is not the only factor. Applicants to the exchange program should have at least a 3.0 GPA overall and especially for their semesters immediately prior to the exchange term. Having a high GPA always helps an application, but does not outweigh the other factors considered. Some of the important aspects we look for in applications include:
• a candidate’s preparation and motivation;
• clear, well-thought-out reasons for wanting to participate and ideas for how it will benefit them and fit with their future goals;
• ability to adapt not only to the cultural and social aspects of an international exchange program but also to the different academic systems at the host institution;
• ability to not only benefit from, but contribute to the program and host institution through demonstration of past and planned extracurricular, volunteer and social activities;
• preparation and planning of the financial aspects of participating on an exchange; and
• an overall impression based on the interview and written materials of what kind of representative the candidate will be for the Alberta School of Business and the UofA as a whole to the partner school and in the foreign country.