There are two routes for a Business student to take when going on exchange
- School of Business International Exchange Program
- the University of Alberta Education Abroad Program.
Eligibility Requirements for participating in an exchange
In order to be considered for an exchange program, BCom students must meet the following requirements:
- Complete at least the first year of studies in the Alberta School of Business before going on exchange.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 on their most recent fall/winter terms. Permission may be granted based on fall terms grades averaging 3.0 and higher.
Step 1: Meet with a BCom academic advisor to determine eligibility, credit options and academic implications.
Step 2: Submit a Permission to Participate form to obtain permission to go on exchange.
Once an exchange program has been chosen, BCom students must submit a Permission to Participate Form to the BCom Undergraduate office. There is no obligation to grant transfer credit unless prior permission has been obtained in writing from the BCom Undergraduate Office.
Step 3: Submit a Transfer Credit Request Form (see guidelines below)
The BCom Undergraduate office will require written proof that the student has been accepted by the host institution before our office will evaluate transfer credit.
Transfer Credit Request Form Guidelines
To ensure that exchange courses will transfer a completed transfer credit request form needs to be submitted to the Undergraduate Office by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) This form should be accompanied by separate PDF attachments of all the syllabi to be evaluated. This form should only be submitted after the student has been officially accepted by the host institution.
- List 2 or 3 more courses than you plan on taking. This will give you some alternates and allow flexibility if a course is cancelled or if you change your mind about your original selections. For example, if you plan to take 15 credits worth on exchange then submit 21 credits for assessment. The maximum number of credits the Undergraduate Office will evaluate is 30 for a fall or winter term exchange
- ECTS credit are only applicable at European Institutions
- Review course listings in the U of A Academic Calendar to find a preferred U o A course equivalent.
- Sign and date form
- Attach all course syllabi as PDF's
- Submitted syllabi should contain the following information:
- Course name
- Professor name
- Number of hours the class meets per week per term
- course description
- Required materials (textbook, cases, course packs,)
- Information on assignments, exams
- Evaluation/Granding framework in the course (percentage of the total grade of each assignment, project, exam)
- Course schedule or topics the instructor will cover
- Syllabi must be submitted as individual PDF attachments (one PDF for each course).