The Leadership Certificate Program (LCP) application involves a two-stage process:
- Qualified* students must submit an application and supporting documentation by May 15.
- Short-listed students will be contacted approximately 1 week following the May 15 application deadline and will be given a set of questions and asked to submit a video response to those questions by the end of May.
Application and Supporting Documents
By May 15, Leadership Certificate applicants must submit the application form, all required and any optional documents from the following CHECKLIST:
- Application Form (online submission)
Please also submit the following documents to email@example.com by May 15 with the subject "Additional Documents for Leadership Certificate"
- Official Transcript of Grades if not a continuing University of Alberta student (Required for students who are not currently attending the University of Alberta)
- Letters of Reference (one or more required) - At least one letter of reference is required from an individual who can speak to the student’s potential for leadership within their community. Community is broadly defined to include any community, from business, to ethnic, to sports, etc. Referees should comment on both leadership activities and potential.
- Statement of Purpose (required) - must outline the student’s reasons for wanting to enter the Leadership Certificate Program, and the student’s assessment of why he or she is an ideal candidate for the program. The student should discuss what he or she hopes to achieve through the program and also how he or she will contribute to the success of the program. A student might wish to give a specific vocational goal after graduation including any special field of interest or type of employment planned. This statement is not to exceed two pages in length.
- Resume (required)
- Additional documentation student feels may assist Committee (optional)
Admission decisions will be made by a Faculty Admissions Committee on the basis of the student’s character and leadership readiness based on a combination of a personal interview, resume, letter of intent and letter(s) of reference.
The Director will short-list candidates based on the application materials outlined above. The short-listed candidates will be contacted and asked to complete the second stage of the application process (video submission).
The entire application package (all forms outlined above plus video submissions) will be evaluated by a committee. The Admissions Committee will consist of the Director of the Leadership Certificate Program, Dean of the Alberta School of Business and/or the Associate Dean Undergraduate and additional members composed of both Alberta School of Business members and/or external members. Any external members will be successful community leaders chosen by the Dean of the School of Business.
If you have any questions about the Leadership Certificate admission requirements, please contact the Undergraduate Office.