Camp fYrefly for Southern Alberta: June 30 - July 3, 2020
Camp fYrefly for Northern Alberta: July 16 - 19, 2020
Camp fYrefly Ontario: July 9 - July 12, 2020
Camp fYrefly Saskatchewan:(Dates coming soon!)
Applications open for Camp fYrefly Alberta South, Alberta North, and Ontario (see below).
To be a Youth Leader at Camp fYrefly you must be between the ages of 18 - 24 prior to the beginning of Camp. Youth Leaders are the group leaders at Camp fYrefly and the primary point of contact for campers. There are two youth leaders per pod. Youth Leaders guide the pod through pod time activities, workshops, free-time and transition times and help make decisions for their pod. They build skills in mentorship, communications and working with youth.
We invite our Youth Leader applicants to reflect on their readiness to be part of the camp environment and the experience of mentoring 2SLGBTQ+ youth. Camp is a space of fun and excitement, of curiosity and introspection. It is also a space for emotional reflection, processing and exploration of identity. Sometimes Youth Leaders will find themselves in a quiet sharing circle, and other times in a loud and boisterous lodge. It is a rustic natural site, with dorm room style accommodations and bunk beds. Youth Leader roles may involve guiding conversations in workshops, or singing around a campfire. You may find yourself supporting a camper through a challenging conversation about family rejection, or a celebration of the new pronoun they chose.
The role of a volunteer is to allow campers to grow and learn in this space, to build community and have their physical, social and emotional needs met. In the past, volunteers have shared with us that they experience both joy and exhaustion during the 4 days of camp. Due to the diverse responsibilities of this role, an ideal candidate will be able to multi-task, prioritize their own needs as well as the needs of others and have the supports and skills available to process their own feelings as they arise at camp. Camp fYrefly youth leaders create space for youth voices and opportunities for youth to excel.
Basic requirements for all volunteers:
All volunteers will be available to prepare and assist with Camp, which includes:
- Attending mandatory 12-hour training held over a two-day period 2-4 weeks before camp;
- Attending all of Camp from July 15-19, 2020;
- General labour (e.g., set-up, cleaning and maintenance of camp space);
- Contributing to the creation of a safe space at Camp for everyone by supervising campers and ensuring that your pod is respecting camp guidelines, and honouring the camp schedule;
- Being aware of and responsible for your own physical, mental, social and emotional well-being.
We will provide you with comprehensive pre-camp training to help build your leadership, facilitation experience, and mentoring skills.
This pre-camp training is mandatory.
Southern Alberta Training will be:
- June 6, 2020 and June 13, 2020
Northern Alberta Training will be:
Camp fYrefly Ontario Training will be:
Applications are now open for Camp fYrefly Alberta North and South, Camp fYrefly Ontario and Camp fYrefly Saskatchewan.
Applicants selected to be Youth Leaders at Camp fYrefly will receive a detailed registration package containing a pre-Camp checklist and information on travel, meals, accommodation, as well as required health, dietary, legal, media consent, and Criminal Record/Child Welfare Intervention Record Check forms. If chosen as a Youth Leader, instructions will be sent on how to complete this process.
Youth Leaders will receive an honorarium of up to $500.00 to compensate them for their volunteer time and any time they took off work. There are three levels that Youth Leaders may choose from to better reflect their budget:
Level One: $150.00
Level Two: $300.00
Level Three: $500.00
Youth Leaders who request the honorarium will receive it after Camp is over.
Youth Leader Team Mentor
The role of the Youth Leader Team Mentor will be focused on mentoring and guiding the Adult Volunteer team, offering support with activities and debriefs, helping lead meetings and organizing the pre-camp training for Adult Volunteers. Pre-camp duties include liaising with the Camp Coordinator to plan and provide the pre-camp training and providing mentorship to the Youth Leader team leading up to camp. Youth Leader Team Leads provide approximately 12 hours of work prior to camp and camp training and will be compensated with an $800.00 honorarium. To apply to be the Youth Leader Team Lead, please select “Youth Leader Team Lead as a role in your application forms, you will also be asked an additional question about what motivates you to apply for the role of Team Lead.
How do I apply to be a Youth Leader?
You will be asked to answer the following questions in your application. Please complete these questions in advance, and copy and paste your answers into the form:
- Tell us about yourself and why you want to volunteer at Camp fYrefly? How would this role fit into specific goals you have?
- Please list any life/volunteer/work experience that applies to this role (consider certifications, training, youth engagement, activism, artistic experience, involvement with groups, etc.).
- Describe two or three practices that are important when mentoring 2SLGBTQ+ youth who have diverse, intersecting identities at Camp fYrefly.
- At Camp fYrefly we are committed to working towards social justice as a community of campers and volunteers. How does volunteering at camp fit within your values about social justice?
- If you volunteered at camp before, please tell us how coming back to camp will help you reach your goals. What skills and support can you offer to new volunteers? If not, please skip this question.
Camp fYrefly is committed to diversity and representation within our camper and volunteer teams. We especially welcome applications from queer individuals of colour, two-spirit and/or indigenous people, people with disabilities and trans-feminine people.
In your application, DO NOT use the back button on your internet browser or the form will clear and your information will be lost. If you need to go to the previously page, use the “back” button on the form itself.
Please use the following links to access the YOUTH LEADER APPLICATIONS
Camp fYrefly for Southern Alberta - OPEN
Deadline: April 29, 2020
Camp fYrefly for Northern Alberta - OPEN
Deadline: April 21, 2020
Camp fYrefly Ontario - OPEN
Camp fYrefly Saskatchewan - COMING SOON!