MASK POLICY | Fall 2020 Intramural Sports

At all times, the goal of Campus & Community Recreation is to operate efficient, safe, and engaging programs and facilities for all of our users. During this pandemic, this goal is increasingly demanding to achieve. As we enter this fall/winter season, COVID-19 continues to be a threat and the flu season is upon us.

As a precautionary measure and to best protect the health and safety of all our Intramural Sports participants; effective immediately, masks must be worn by all participants when actively participating in all Intramural Sports, with the exception of Ice Hockey.

Active participation is defined as when a participant is engaged in a game, match, competition, practice, warm-up, or cool-down activity.

Although we realize these guidelines establish a standard beyond the provincial physical activity, recreation and sport guidelines, and some provincial sport organization guidelines, these measures are being taken to enhance the safety of our facilities and preserve the long-term access to the programs that are so important to us.

We thank you for your continued support, understanding, and compliance with these enhanced safety measures.

For up to date information about our facilities, memberships, programs, and services, please visit and FAQ page.

Q: What is this page?
Simply put, the Intramural Need-to-Knows is a collection of info everyone who wants to participate in the University of Alberta Intramural program...well, needs to know! This info is updated every year to make sure you have access to our current policies, plans, and new initiatives.
Q: Where can I find details on leagues & tournaments, registration dates, and costs?
Details about our leagues & tournaments are all available on our website and at
Q: How do I register a team?
Registration is a three-step process:
  1. Pay for your team through the Customer Service Centre or online through
  2. Create your team on
  3. Add your teammates to your IMLeagues roster
Q: What’s the difference between a Competitive and Recreational league?

We realize that people enjoy playing sports for different reasons; some like the opportunity to play with friends, and some like the thrill of competition. Our goal is to give everyone a chance to enjoy their sport experience, so all Intramural sports have a Competitive and a Recreational league (numbers permitting).

Both Recreational and Competitive leagues keep score, maintain standings, have playoffs, and crown a champion. Similarly, both leagues expect and celebrate respect, courtesy, compassion from all players.

Recreational leagues are geared towards those for whom winning the game is less important than having fun with those you're playing with. Competitive leagues cater to those who like to play hard, and want to play with others who like the same.

Here's a handy flowchart to help you pick the league that's right for you.

Intramurals league flow chart

Q: What’s the difference between a Co-Rec and an Open league/tournament?
Co-Rec events have specific gender requirements, generally in the form of a maximum number of players of one gender that can play at one time. Open events have no gender requirements, meaning that teams can have any combination of genders.
Q: What are the rules on playing under the influence of drugs or alcohol?
Playing while under the influence of drugs or alcohol is strictly prohibited. Sports involve objects in motion - bodies, balls, bats, etc. - and playing under the influence makes interacting with those objects more dangerous for you and others. Game staff will remove a player/team if there is any reason to believe they may be under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Any player in violation of this rule will be immediately suspended from all intramural competition. Exception: For events taking place at a licensed venue (Golf, 8-Ball, Curling, Bowling), consuming alcohol purchased from the venue is permitted, as long as it does not detract from the enjoyment (and safety) of others
Q: What do I do if my team can't make our scheduled game time?

If you're not able to field a team for your scheduled game, you can try to reschedule it (well in advance, not last minute). It’s a three-step process:

  1. Contact your opposing captain via IMLeagues asking if they are willing to switch game times. If the answer is yes…
  2. Contact the captains of teams playing at a time you and your opponent would like to switch to via IMLeagues. If two opposing captains AND your opponent agree to switch…
  3. Contact the Recreation Facilitator in charge of your league via IMLeagues to notify them that a switch has been agreed to. You and your opponent will switch times with the other two teams. (Note: the teams in each game stay the same. Only the time of the game changes.)

If a game time switch isn't possible (e.g. your opponent does not agree to a switch), and you can't find players through either your Unit Manager (see below) or Free Agents (listed in each league on IMLeagues), let your opponent and Recreation Facilitator know at least 24 hours ahead of time that you need to forfeit your game; teams can forfeit once without risking exclusion from playoffs.

Q: How do I join my friend’s team?

Option #1: If you know the name of the team, type it into the IMLeagues search bar at the top of the screen. When you select the team, you'll see a Team Options button in the top right corner; just select Join Team from the ensuing drop-down list. (Clicking that button sends the team captain a request to add you to the team; some captains have set up their teams to auto-accept new members, while others want to add members individually). 

Option #2: If you don't know the team name, select the sport and league you'd like to play in from the list on IMLeagues. From the resulting list of teams in the league, select the one you’d like to join and click the green Join button. (Clicking that button sends the team captain a request to add you to the team; some captains have set up their teams to auto-accept new members, while others want to add members individually).

Summer Leagues Parking Passes - Information Coming Soon!
Q: I want to play, but don't have a team. What can I do?

Option #1: Contact your Unit Manager and let them know you're looking to play! (Confused? See below.)

Option #2: If you’re a woman wanting to play, there’s an Intramural Unit looking for you! The Women’s Intramural Network (WIN) aims to connect women on campus to form teams across all sports. Email them at to get hooked up.

Option #3: Join as a free agent! Log into IMLeagues select the league you want to play in and click Free Agent (above the list of teams). This lets you connect with captains who are looking for teammates.

Q: Can I rent equipment from Intramurals?

Yes, Intramurals does rent out equipment, so long as it is available for rental. There is a rental fee for each piece of equipment an individual or group wishes to rent. In order to view what equipment is available and the cost associated with each piece, click here.

In order to submit a request to rent equipment, please fill out the Intramural Equipment Rental Form. Once received, our staff will be in contact with you about the request.

Q: What are Intramural Units? What are Unit Managers?

“Unit” is the term we give to a student group that has a representative (Unit Manager) on our Intramural Council. Most residences and faculties have a Unit Manager, so odds are good there is a Unit Manager out there for you! Unit Managers routinely register teams for their Units and advocate on their behalf, so get to know yours!

Teams associated with a Unit earn Participation Point and Achievement Points for their Units by competing in Intramural Leagues and tournaments which go towards the Intramural Cup.

Q: I'm not a University of Alberta student. How can I play?*

There are two ways for non-students (anyone who doesn’t pay the Athletics & Recreation fee with tuition) to play!

During registration, your team can sign up as a Non-Student Team. For an increased price upfront, you can have as many non-students on your roster as you like (with no need to buy Community Sports Memberships)! If you have more than two non-students, this is generally your cheapest option. Non-students can still play on a student team if they buy a Community Sports Membership from the Customer Service Centre (i.e. the old fashioned way). Once you've bought your Community Sports Membership and joined the team on IMLeagues, just bring your photo ID to your game and you'll be good to go! Please be aware that Community Sports Memberships are individual, so on a team with more than one non-student, each non-student must purchase the membership.

Community Sports Memberships can be purchased for a full year, full-term, or single activity, and do not include recreational use of the Van Vliet Complex facilities (i.e. Hanson Fitness and Lifestyle Centre), though those passes can be purchased separately.

  • Full Year Membership (all activities, both terms): $50
  • Full Semester Membership (all activities, one term): $30
  • Single Activity Membership (one league/tournament): $15

*Non-students in Spring & Summer leagues are not required to purchase a Community Sports Membership, as these leagues are open to non-students for no additional charge.

Q: Is Intramurals hiring?

We are always looking for positive, enthusiastic, and hard-working folks to help our program be the best it can be. We provide training for all our Referees and game staff and hire year-round based on program needs.

Interested in joining our team? Submit an application here.

Contact Us

General Inquiries

2-670 Van Vliet Complex, University of Alberta

Phone: 780.492.2555

Riley McCaig - Program Coordinator, Intramural Sports