The Career Centre is your source for career and employment information and expertise at the University of Alberta (UAlberta). We strive to empower the talented people at UAlberta to develop the skills, knowledge, experiences, and connections they need to confidently manage their careers. We use a planned happenstance approach as careers can be affected by unplanned events. This approach involves taking action and trying new things—even if you are unsure of the outcome.
When exploring career options, we encourage you keep the following in mind:
- Engage—deliberately and intentionally—in a variety of activities.
- Follow your curiosities and interests.
- Get involved in life beyond academics.
It's also important to take time to reflect on your actions, both during and after. This reflection can help you identify what you enjoyed, what you learned, what you disliked, and what you can do next.
Interested in learning more? Connect with us to find out how we can help you navigate and manage your career experiences.
Do you need help navigating career-related resources and tools? Are you frustrated by career or academic transitions, networking, or trying to "get your foot in the door"? Would you like suggestions for how to test out possible career paths?
If you answered yes to some of the above questions Career Advising might be for you! In a one-hour session tailored for your needs we can:
- Help you understand how transitions and unplanned events can impact your career
- Work with you to identify your next steps towards your preferred future
- Suggest strategies and actions to explore possible career paths
- Refine your existing work search skills
We also offer separate Resume/Cover Letter or LinkedIn Profile critiques and Mock Interview appointments to help you prepare for your next career-related opportunity! Learn more about our advising services or book an appointment.
Are you overwhelmed or unmotivated while working on your career? Would you like support while working through career-related obstacles? Do you want to know the next steps you can take to explore your career or work search?
If the above questions resonated with you, Career Coaching might be for you! In three one-on-one personalized sessions with our certified career coaches we can help you:
- Clarify and work towards your career-related goals while overcoming obstacles
- Develop strategies and solutions to explore career options and search for work
- Support you in increasing your motivation and enthusiasm to explore your career
- Enhance your self-discovery and self-empowerment
- Unpack and reframe your career beliefs
Career Coaching appointments can be transferred as credits to the Transition to Career (T2C) full package program at any time during the coaching relationship. Learn more about the benefits of career coaching.