University of Alberta
Festival of Teaching Steering Committee
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Excellence in teaching deserves to be celebrated; innovation in teaching needs to be shared. Taking time to focus on what happens every day across the academy, the Festival of Teaching celebrates the excellence and enthusiasm of our educators.
The Festival of Teaching began as a small one-day event in 2009. It has since grown into a year-round celebration showcasing and celebrating teaching excellence and innovation.
2. Committee Mandate
The mandate of the Festival of Teaching Steering Committee is to open multiple avenues for the UofA community to engage in a broad exploration and discussion of teaching and pedagogical methods, and to work in partnership with groups and units across campus to create and augment stimulating events with a pedagogical focus.
The Festival of Teaching Steering Committee identifies foci (or themes in teaching) to highlight throughout the year and invites or partners with other groups to bring external speakers to the UofA when appropriate.
3. Committee Composition and Terms
The Committee will have three (3) co-chairs, membership from diverse faculties and units at the UofA and both undergraduate and graduate student representation. Terms will stagger to ensure continuity.
The co-chairs will be:
- The Vice Provost (Academic Programs and Instruction) (Ex Officio)
- The Director of the Centre for Teaching and Learning (Ex Officio)
- A member of the instructional staff at the UofA, invited by the two other co-chairs. Criteria for selection will be a history of teaching excellence and innovation (2 year term, renewable).
Committee members will be comprised of, at a minimum:
- A representative from the Students’ Union (1 year term)
- A representative from the Graduate Students’ Association (1 year term)
- A representative from University Relations (2 year term, renewable)
- A representative from Augustana Faculty (2 year term, renewable)
- A representative from Faculté Saint Jean (2 year term, renewable)
- Representatives from at least two other faculties (2 year, renewable)
4. Committee Meetings
The Festival of Teaching Steering Committee will meet monthly between September-May. More frequent meetings may be called at the discretion of the Co-Chairs as need arises.
5. Committee Support and Budget The Centre for Teaching and Learning will provide administrative support to the Committee and will maintain the Festival of Teaching website. The Office of the Provost provides the budget for the Committee. The annual budget of the Committee is $15,000.
FoT Terms of Reference (PDF)