The University of Alberta OER (Open Educational Resources) Awards are funded by an endowment fund through the Provost's Office and from the University of Alberta Libraries. $75,000 has been allocated for the 2018/19 academic year to support the use of OER to benefit teaching and learning through increasing access and discoverability of learning resources and contributing to student cost savings.
More information on open education and OER can be found here.
Awards will go toward funding:
OER Student Navigators - this team of students will be recruited by the UA OER team to support UA OER award projects. Student navigators will curate potential OER based on the courses’ key understandings, help instructors customize OER, and co-create OER-enabled classroom activities.
OER Peer Review Stipends - stipends will support discipline-specific peer reviews of curated content to assist the instructor in selecting the OER.
University of Alberta OER Awards will support faculty in the use of open educational resources (OER) in their course delivery. The awards will give faculty support and structure in the selection, integration, and use of open educational resources through collaboration with an open education project team.
Applications are invited from University educators including sessional instructors, faculty lecturers, tenured faculty, librarians, and other members of the academic staff who offer teaching and learning sessions for students. Graduate students and postdoctoral fellows who are assigned formal teaching responsibilities also may apply.
University of Alberta OER Awards aims to:
Explore new and collaborative teaching opportunities through the use of open educational resources.
- Increase access to educational resources for students, faculty, and the community through open licensing.
- Reduce cost of textbook and course materials through open educational resources.
OER Awards will support instructors to:
Adopt, modify, and/or create openly licensed course materials
- Pilot OER-enabled classroom activities and assignments (e.g. renewable assignments)
- Evaluate and share the outcomes of OER Award projects
Applicants do not need experience working with open educational resources. Awarded projects will include collaboration with an open education project team to support the applicant’s transition to open.
How to Apply:
- Attend an Information Session
- Review the UA OER Awards Guidelines here
- Complete the UA OER Awards Application here
- November 15, 2017 - Applications Open
- Information Sessions
- November 30, 2017 (2 p.m. - 3 p.m.), Cameron Library 5-02D
- December 5, 2017 (11 a.m. - Noon), Cameron Library 5-02D
- January 8, 2018 (10 a.m. - 11 a.m.), Cameron Library 5-02D
- January 31, 2018 - Applications close (5 p.m.)
- March 5 - 9, 2018 - Awardees announced
Successful applicants will be invited to develop a project plan and will work collaboratively with the UA OER team.
Additional questions about the awards program or requests for consultation are welcome. Please contact the OER team at email@example.com