Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering and the School of Mining & Petroleum Engineering


  • 01. What degrees are offered?

    PhD Degree (Doctor of Philosophy)

    MSc (Master of Science - Thesis-based)

    MEng (Master of Engineering (Course-based)

  • 02. What are the minimum admission requirements for applying to graduate studies in the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering?

    The Department's minimum admission requirements are an undergraduate degree with an average of 3.0 in the last two years of full-time study (or equivalent) at the University of Alberta, or an equivalent qualification from a recognized institution. Please refer to the Faculty of Graduate Studies for the minimum academic requirements for both Canadian and International Students.

  • 03. What are the application/document deadline dates?

    Students must fill out the preliminary application form two to three months prior to the application submission deadline dates listed below. ONLY applicants whose preliminary applications have been approved to the formal application stage will be reviewed.

    Formal Applications and all required documents must be uploaded to the applicant portal by these dates to be considered for admission. Applications must be submitted before the close date, so you must apply and submit the day before the close date, as the system will not take any applications right on the close date.

    International Applicants and applicants within Canada applying for a Study Permit.
    • May 31 for September Admissions
    • September 1 for January Admissions

    Canadian Applicants
    • May 31 for September Admissions
    • September 1 for January Admissions

    Special Student Deadlines
    • August 1 for Fall Term admission
    • December 1 for Winter Term admission
    • March 1 for Spring/summer admission

  • 04. How do I apply to Graduate Studies in the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering?

    All applicants must go through the two stage process.

    Step 1. Fill out the Online Preliminary Application Form found on the Department's web site. Once the application form is filled out and submitted you will receive an email acknowledging that the form was received. If you have any difficulties with the online application form you can contact the Graduate Database Administrator at

    When do I get the results of my preliminary application?

    It takes anywhere from one week to eight weeks for the application to be reviewed by the professors (some times longer). We encourage students to apply early. When a decision is made you will be notified by the department via email as to whether or not you can move to the next application step.

    When do I fill out FGSR's web application?

    When you receive an email from the Department that your preliminary application has been approved to the Formal Application Stage.

    How to track the status of the Formal application?

    You will be able to track the status of your application file directly from FGSR's application portal. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure all documents have been uploaded to their file.

    Please do not check with Bear Tracks.

    Please do not mail any documents to the University at the application stage.

    How will I be notified if I am offered admission?

    If you are offered admission, you will receive a pdf of your admission letter directly in your application portal with FGSR. You must accept the admission from within the portal. (

    How will I be notified if my application is refused?

    You will receive an email from the Faculty of Graduate Studies via the application portal.

  • 05. Is there an application fee?

    There is a non-refundable application fee of $100 (CDN). Note: The fee may be waived if you are applying from one of the countries waived from the application fee.

    How do I pay the Application Fee?

    You are required to pay the application fee using a credit card.

    How can I be waived from paying the Application Fee?

    In order to be waived from paying the fee you must be living in the country where the application fee has been waived. The $100 (CAD) non-refundable application will be waived for applicant's whose correspondence address is located in the countries listed here.

  • 06. Do I need to take the TOEFL test?

    Since English is the primary language of instruction and communication at the U of A, all applicants must be proficient in English prior to admission. Proficiency is demonstrated by:

    Possession of a degree or its academic equivalent from an institution recognized by the University of Alberta and where the language of instruction is English. Proof that the instruction for the degree was in English will be required; or a satisfactory score on one of the following approved English language examinations:

    • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL - Academic) - minimum score of 550 (paper-based), or TOEFL IBT 88 with a score of at least 20 on each of the individual skill areas (internet-based).

    • International English Language Testing System (IELTS - Academic) - minimum overall band score of 6.5, with at least 5 on each band.

    • Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) - minimum score of 85.
    Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL) - overall minimum score of 60, with at least 60 on each subset

    • Pearson Test of English Acadmic (PTE Academic) - overall minimum score of 59.

    For further information on the English Language requirement please go to English Language Proficiency Requirements found on the FGSR web site. The English language requirement should be met at the time you submit your application.

    Are there certain countries or international universities who would be exempt from taking the TOEFL test?

    Yes, please see our exemption list.

    Can I get a conditional admission and then take my English language proficiency test?

    No, the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering requires proof of the minimum required score on an English test before being considered for graduate studies admission.

    Do you require the GRE Test?

    No, we do not require this test, and it will not be used to assess your application.

    What is the Institution code for sending in the TOEFL test from ETS?

    The Institution Code is 0963.

  • 07. Is there financial support provided by the department?

    The department may provide financial support to successful candidates to our MSc and PhD programs.

    Are there other scholarships and awards a student can apply to?

    The Department encourages students to apply for scholarships, fellowships, awards, and grants both internally and externally. For more information about awards, scholarships, loans, and/or bursaries outside of the Faculty of Engineering, visit the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.

  • 08. How many students are recruited each year?

    Approximately 90-160 are recruited each year. We receive a large number of applications each year. At the preliminary stage we can receive over 2500 applications, and at the formal application stage we can receive ~600. There are only a limited number of spaces available which makes for an extremely competitive environment. Acquisition of the minimum academic requirements does not guarantee a position in our graduate program.

  • 09. What areas of research are offered?
  • 10. Where can I get information on off-campus residence?