The application process for all three of our programs (MEng, MSc, PhD) is changing and will be posted in early November. Thank you for your patience.
For any applications that were submitted to the preliminary database, prior to October 1, 2019, you will be informed of the next steps shortly.
All supporting documents are uploaded directly to the Faculty of Graduate Studies Web application via the applicant portal.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY DOCUMENTS by MAIL to the department. Hardcopies are only provided if you are specifically asked to send hardcopies by the Faculty of Graduate Studies if admitted. Do not refer Bear Tracks at the application review stage, as the information is not accurate. Always refer to your applicant portal login. https://graduate-studies-apply.ualberta.ca/urd/sits.urd/run/siw_lgn
Documents to be uploaded to web application:
- Transcripts (see below for the requirements for Acceptance of Uploaded Transcripts)
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Three letters of reference provided by academic staff members capable of assessing the applicant's academic and research ability. References are requested via the web application by the applicant, and are uploaded directly to the application by the referee. (Students who are graduating from the UofA do not have to provide letters of reference.) No hardcopies are required.
- Official English Language Proficiency scores (if applicable) such as TOEFL (Academic), IELTS (Academic), MELAB, PTE or CAEL. GRE is NOT required nor is it used in the evaluation process.
International applicants should refer to the International Admissions Protocol link.
Canadian applicants should refer to the Canadian Admissions Protocol link.
Requirements for Acceptance of Uploaded Transcripts
Applicants must upload all current transcripts to complete the application process.
- Include all transcripts from each post-secondary institution you attended (including incomplete studies, exchange and transfer credit courses)
- All transcripts must have a recent date on which it was printed
- If your previous education was completed in India or Pakistan, individual marksheets are required; consolidated transcripts are not acceptable.
- A Degree Certificate must accompany transcripts* that do not clearly indicate:
- that a degree has been conferred/awarded/granted; and
- the date on which the degree was conferred.
- Degree certificates must include the date of issue, the registrar's signature, and a post-secondary institution stamp or seal.
- *You may have an interim transcript that does not yet indicate that a degree has been conferred and the date that degree was conferred. However, final transcripts from all North American and many international institutions will include this information; in which case there is no need to submit a Degree Certificate.
Uploaded documents must meet the following criteria in order to be accepted:
- The document must include the applicant’s full name, post-secondary institution name, academic program, the grading scheme/scale legend, names and numbers of courses, year and term of attendance, credits, and grades received.
- The transcript must be scanned in its entirety (front and back pages) and be legible.
- As applicable:
- Transcripts provided to support a degree that has been conferred must cover the entire period of the degree.
- An English translation of transcripts in languages other than English must be provided by the issuing institution or by a certified translator.
- If the transcript is issued in French by a Canadian institution, then no English language translation is required.
Acceptable transcripts may include either:
- A transcript issued to the student by the post-secondary institution; or
- A transcript/student record obtained from self-serve web system of the post-secondary institutions (must meet the criteria listed above and provide the system's URL and print date)
We do not accept documents notarized by a notary public, or endorsed by a lawyer, professor, or judge.
Transcripts uploaded on the online application portal are considered to be unofficial documents.
If an applicant receives a conditional offer of admission, they must then provide official transcripts. These must be sent directly from the post-secondary institution to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research office for authentication purposes.
Killam Centre for Advanced Studies
2-29 Triffo Hall, University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Questions with regard to supporting documents can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.