Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering and the School of Mining & Petroleum Engineering

Supporting Documents

For any applications that were submitted to the preliminary database, prior to October 1, 2019, you will be informed of the next steps shortly. 

All supporting documents are uploaded directly to the Faculty of Graduate Studies Web application via the applicant portal.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY DOCUMENTS by MAIL to the department. Hardcopies are only provided if you are specifically asked to send hardcopies by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research if admitted. Do not refer Bear Tracks at the application review stage, as the information is not accurate. Always refer to your FGSR GSMS Portal login:

Documents to be uploaded to web application:

  • Transcripts (see below for the requirements for Acceptance of Uploaded Transcripts)
  • Curriculum vitae (CV)
  • Expression of Interest (letter/email) from Potential Supervisor (MSc and PhD ONLY)
  • Statement of Purpose (PhD ONLY)
  • Three (3) academic references are required from academic staff members capable of assessing the applicant's academic and research ability. At least two academic references are mandatory and a maximum of one (1) professional (work) reference is allowed. References are requested via the web application by the applicant and are uploaded directly to the application by the referee. No hardcopies are required. Students who are graduating from the UofA do not have to provide the references.
  • Official English Language Proficiency scores (if applicable) such as TOEFL (Academic), IELTS (Academic), MELAB, PTE or CAEL.  See FGSR's ELP requirement. The GRE is NOT required nor is it used in the evaluation process.  

International applicants should refer to the International Admissions Protocol link.

Canadian applicants should refer to the Canadian Admissions Protocol link.

Please refer to FGSR's Application Requirements for Academic Documents for complete details.

If your previous education was completed in China, both the Degree Certificate and the Graduation Certificate are required.