Each year, the University of Alberta hosts the OASIS Conference designed for health care graduate students, undergraduate students, and community members, addressing areas of interest in the field of Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) and Rehabilitation Medicine. This year’s conference features talks from some amazing local clinicians, researchers, and clients, centred on the theme of “Communication Access: Building Bridges to Participation”.
We would like to invite anyone curious about SLP to join us at this year’s conference. Several educational opportunities are available at this conference, as well as other benefits:
- Many different topics will be discussed at this year’s conference, including:
- Narrative abilities of English second language learners,
- Facilitating social participation of individuals with dementia through communication interventions,
- How to navigate the U of A’s SLP application process,
- The effects of screen time on speech and language development, and
- Creating a gender inclusive SLP practice.
- You can choose two different sessions to attend based on areas that interest you, plus the keynote presentation on client and clinician perspectives on communication access.
- One of the most interactive and popular sessions is the client perspectives panel. This panel consists of parents of children with speech and language concerns, and adults who have received speech and language therapy. We hear about their experiences and learn from their advice for future and current health care professionals.
- This year’s conference will also feature a clinician perspective panel consisting of speech language pathologists working with various populations. You can hear about the profession’s scope of practice with the opportunity to ask questions.
- You’ll also have opportunities to interact with many local organizations presenting information at booths throughout the day. There’s also a chance for you to win some swag! Additionally, there will be a poster presentation at lunch where you can learn about recent research being conducted related to the SLP field.
- Refreshments, snacks, and lunch will be provided throughout the day.
Here are details about the upcoming conference:
Saturday, September 26th, 2020 (registration information will be posted once it is available).
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM (registration and breakfast from 8:00 - 9:00 am; keynote speaker at 9:00 am; lunch from 12:00 - 1:30 pm)
Edmonton Clinic Health Academy (ECHA), 2nd Floor
11405 87 Ave NW
Registration and Cost:
To be determined for the 2020 conference.
If you want the latest information about the conference, visit us on Facebook at:
Please email us at email@example.com
We hope to see you there!
OASIS Conference Committee
*Note: Tickets can be purchased the day of the event; however, no guarantee can be made for topic selection of presentations.