On July 1, 2004, two of Alberta’s oldest educational institutions joined forces: Augustana University College in Camrose—formerly the Camrose Lutheran College—merged with the University of Alberta. Ten years later, while the college’s heritage is still recognizable in the campus buildings and liberal arts and sciences curriculum, the benefits of this historic merger have breathed new life into Augustana, the university, the Camrose area and the entire province.
Camrose Lutheran College was founded in 1910 by an association of Norwegian Lutheran congregations to offer residential high-school education. The school began offering first- and second-year university transfer courses after the Second World War, and became Alberta’s first privately run degree-granting institution in 1985. By the time of the merger, Augustana served 1,000 students annually from across Canada and some 28 countries worldwide.