Campus Saint-Jean was founded in 1908 and affiliated with the University of Alberta in 1963. The land that it sits on in the Bonnie Doon area was acquired in the mid-1970s. A French-language teaching institution, Campus Saint-Jean has established itself as an indispensable research institution in the fields of science, arts, social sciences, education and language teaching. The campus, which has 40 researchers, is distinguished by its interdisciplinary research, promoting alliances and collaborations between disciplines. The campus is home to over 80 research projects in 14 areas of expertise.