Please ensure you meet the following volunteer requirements prior to applying:
- Reached the age of 18 by September 1, 2019
- Enrolled as a part-time or full-time student at the University of Alberta for the 2019/2020 academic year at the North Campus
- Certified by the Community Helpers Program or shares a concrete plans to complete prior to orientation
Unitea volunteers must be available to interview on Tuesday, April 2, 2019, and attend training on Saturday, September 7, 2019.
Each role may have specific qualities, but generally, we are looking for people who exemplify the following skills and characteristics:
- Approachable: demonstrates active listening skills in an empathetic, non-judgmental way
- Motivational: energetic, creative, and flexible
- Collaborative: adaptable and willing to work in a team setting
- Professional: upholds and respects boundaries and aspects around confidentiality and privacy
- Mindful: recognizes signs related to burnout and practices self-care strategies
- Accountable: reliable and displays sound time-management practices
Please note that we require those applying as Collective Tea Time Hosts and those hoping to work with front-facing committees (e.g., tabling, public relations, etc.) to have strong group facilitation skills.
Important: One-to-One Tea Time Hosts and Collective Tea Time Hosts are stewards of the Unitea program and, by extension, the University of Alberta. All volunteers are expected to uphold confidentiality and provide assistance to peers (within capacity).
Tea times (1 to 4 hours a month)
- One individual or collective tea time facilitation (inclusive of the activity itself, preparation, documentation, and administration).
- Orientation Training (Saturday, September 7, 2019, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)
- Attend one professional development session per term (free for all Unitea volunteers)
Teambuilding and Promotions (6 to 8 hours a month)
- Promote activity (ies) through public relations, tabling, or other (e.g., tracking, participating in committee campaigns such as social media madness, gorilla whiteboarding, wellness, etc.)
- Attend monthly team and/or committee meetings
Average monthly commitment
- Each volunteer commits to at least one academic year.