To participate in work experience, you must meet the following requirements by the time you start your internship:
- You must be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or International Student. Some internships require students to be Canadian Citizens.
- International Students are required to obtain a coop/intern work permit in order to be able to work in Canada as a SIP student.
- International students need to apply for this specific work permit well in advance since it is a lengthy process.
- It is strongly suggested that if you are interested in applying for SIP in September you need to get your work permit application submitted in April.
- Note that this is the ONLY type of permit that can be used for a coop/intern placement.
- Please email Nadine Buchanan (firstname.lastname@example.org) for an official letter that will need to be submitted with your other documents for a coop/intern work permit.
- Before approval to the SIP program is given, all International students must submit a copy of their coop/intern work permit.
- Have a minimum of 48 and not more than 105 credits completed by the time the internship placement starts.
- You must be in good standing and maintain a minimum GPA of 2.3 prior to your placement.
- You must be currently registered in one of the following categories, as recorded on your official transcripts:
- Bachelor of Science with Honors
- Bachelor of Science with Specialization
- Bachelor of Science - General
See the Calendar for more information.
If you are in the Software Practice specialization, you are required to complete the Science Internship Program (SIP), however, an internship is not guaranteed. If you are registered in Software Practice and do not receive an internship, you cannot continue.
Applying to SIP
Apply to the Science Internship Program through SciWorks. Once your application has been reviewed, you will receive notification about your acceptance into the SIP Program.
Steps For Application
Applying for Jobs
Job postings will be coming in on a regular basis so please ensure that you check back often for new opportunities on SciWorks.
Remember that for every job that you apply for, you should submit a cover letter as well. Some companies may ask for your resume to be submitted directly to their website, in which case you may not have this option.