Resources for Students

Below, you will find resources for mental health support, international students, and more. More information will be added as it is made available.

Mental health support

The COVID-19 pandemic can have a significant impact on your mental health. This is a very uncertain and disruptive time, and you may be experiencing heightened anxiety or stress. Resources are available if you, or someone you know, is struggling or needs a little extra support.

Financial support
With the impact of the COVID-19 global pandemic, we understand that students are facing unexpected financial challenges. Please visit our Student Financial Assistance page to find a list of university and government financial support available for students.
Reporting absences
Students who are sick and students who are required to self-isolate by AHS (Health Link) or the Public Health Order should contact their instructor/department by phone or email. They should also refer to the university's attendance regulations for assistance with missed examinations and assignments.
COVID-19 response guide for university researchers and research groups is now available. Any students, faculty, postdocs, and staff engaged in research should read it carefully for guidance on how to proceed
Program placements
Students currently engaged in school practicums and clinical placements should check their email for direct updates from your deans.
Students who live in residence can consult the Residence section of this website for more information, including operational updates and preventative measures being put into place.
International students

International students should register with their home country government. This ensures you receive relevant updates from your consular services representatives in Canada.

Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is responding to the many issues that are arising as a result of Canada’s response to COVID-19. IRCC updates to policies are posted on-line This includes exemptions to Canada's March 18, 2020 travel restrictions that are now in place for international students.

International students are eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) providing all other eligibility criteria are met. Eligibility and application information is available at CERB.

University of Alberta International continues to work on the many issues impacting international students, including obtaining clarification on immigration and other policies. International students can contact to get in touch with an International Student advisor for help with any questions or concerns.

Ensure that you update your emergency contact information in Bear Tracks.

Students abroad
University of Alberta International is already in contact will all students who are currently abroad. If you have questions or concerns, you can email