Multi-faith Prayer and Meditation Space
The Multi-Faith Prayer and Meditation Space in 172 HUB has been provided by the University of Alberta as an inclusive space for the campus community, with sensitivity to the specific requirements of diverse faith groups on campus.
Although primarily for prayer and meditation, this space is available for dialogues and conference meetings, mentorship of student religious leaders, and spiritually based engagement that express a specifically interfaith perspective.
The Interfaith Chaplains’ Association will appoint a Chaplain as Scheduler to book the Multi-Faith Prayer and Meditation Space. Bookings will reflect requests of Registered Religious Student Groups and the Interfaith Chaplains Association at the University of Alberta.
The space will be booked on an equitable basis and efforts will be made to accommodate as many groups as possible. Multiple bookings of a space can be done, but no more than a term in advance. Ordinarily, bookings will be limited to two hour time blocks.
The rooms available for booking are:
- Main prayer space (#175)
- Small meeting room (#170)
- Large multi purpose room (#176)
- Main reception area (#182)
The Multi-Faith Prayer and Meditation space will be open during regular university hours. When not booked, space will be available for quiet prayer and meditation. Emergencies or crises requiring the use of the space (e.g. university wide memorials) will take priority over scheduled bookings.
Groups are required to:
- Leave the space clean, tidy, and in good condition including the removal and storage of objects used in religious activities (e.g. altars, candlesticks, prayer mats, musical instruments, tables and chairs, etc.). If a room has been left untidy by a previous group, the group wanting to use the space should contact email@example.com.
- Vacate the space in time to accommodate the next scheduled group (this includes clean-up).
- Remove footwear before entering the carpeted area (Room #175).
- Ensure no food or beverages (including water bottles) are brought into the carpeted space (Room #175).
Groups that do not abide by these requirements or groups in breach of the Code of Student Behaviour (COSB), university policies and procedures, municipal by-law, Provincial or Federal statute or regulation will forfeit Multi-faith Prayer and Meditation Space booking privileges and may face sanctions under the CoSB. U of A students are responsible for any guests (non-U of A student).
If any conflicts arise regarding room bookings the concern should be brought to the Interfaith Chaplains Association at firstname.lastname@example.org.