Fentanyl and Naloxone Awareness
Fentanyl is a powerful and toxic drug that is often made illegally and sold on the streets or cut into other drugs. Undetectable by taste, smell, or sight, the risk of overdosing on even a small amount of fentanyl is very high.
If you are at risk, reduce the harm:
- Know your source and ask around
- Avoid using alone
- Do “test shots” with smaller amounts
- Avoid mixing with other drugs or alcohol
- Know the signs of an overdose
- Carry a Naloxone Kit and know how to use it
- Choose not to use drugs.
Naloxone. Get it. Carry it. Use it.
Naloxone is a medication that can temporarily reverse the effects of an opioid overdose. It blocks the effects of opioids on the brain, preventing death or brain damage from a lack of oxygen.
Naloxone Kits are available free of charge at many pharmacies and community walk-in clinics, including the University Health Centre and UHC Pharmacy. ID is not needed.
If you, friends, or family is at risk of an overdose from opioids, get the Naloxone Kit and learn how to use it.
Know the signs of opioid overdose
An opioid overdose can happen when someone takes too much of a drug, takes a combination of drugs and/or alcohol, or when a drug is laced with fentanyl. It also looks different depending on the person and the drugs involved.