Self-esteem is the opinion we develop about ourselves in terms of our ability to meet the many challenges of life, and achieve happiness and success.
People with high self-esteem tend to act in an independent fashion, assume responsibility for their lives and their choices, feel proud of their accomplishments, etc. People with low self-esteem tend to constantly fear rejection. be passive in their interactions with others, blame others for their problems or mistakes, etc.
There are many ways to raise your self-esteem, including:
- keep a record of all your accomplishments and reward your achievements
- develop a list of your strengths or positive qualities
- ask for feedback from people who know and appreciate you
- quit comparing yourself to others
- fill your life with healthy, positive, supportive people
Body image is the personal relationship you have with your body. It includes your perceptions, beliefs, thoughts, and feelings about your physical appearance. It also includes how you feel in your body. Body image dissatisfaction is common: it affects 90 per cent of women and 50 per cent of men.
Strategies to improve body image include:
- make a list of things your body can do (exercise, breath, hug, dance) and feel good about those things
- keep a top 10 list of things you like about yourself that aren’t related to your body
- view media messages critically — advertising isn’t real and most photos of people in ads are photoshopped