For Foreign Applicants

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Internal Medicine residency training at the University of Alberta.


Postgraduate training positions leading to certification by either the College of Family Physicians of Canada or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada are supported by funds provided by the Ministry of Health of the Province of Alberta. In order to be eligible for such funds, you must be either a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant.

All trainees in such programs must be eligible for the educational register of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta which is the agency responsible for licensing of all physicians. In order to be eligible for the Educational Register in this province, graduates of foreign medical schools are required to have (a) graduated from a school of medicine listed in the Directory of the World Health Organization that has carried on a medical education program for more than 10 years and which offers a medical training program of at least 48 months in duration; and (b) passed the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination (MCCEE), and Part I of the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE). Information about these examinations may be obtained from the Medical Council of Canada, Box 8234, Station T, Ottawa, Ontario K1G 3H7, (613) 521 6012.

All entry level positions are committed annually to the Canadian Resident Matching Service. If you are eligible for the Educational Registry and have the appropriate citizenship requirements, application should be made to the Canadian Resident Matching Service, Suite 802, 151 Slater Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5H3 (613) 237 - 0075.


For individuals who are graduates of medical schools outside Canada or the United States and who are seeking to re-enter a residency program, you may want to apply to the Alberta International Medical Graduate (AIMG) Program.

Contact the AIMG Program directly for the most current and accurate information. The program also has a web site that you can visit for information:

You may also want to apply to our Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada for formal assessment of your training; the address is 774 Echo Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, K1S 5N8.

I hope the above information will be of help to you.

Doris Kurtz
Team Lead, Office of Medical Education
Department of Medicine