The Hematology Program offers the following experience:
- An In-patient ward service - the diagnosis and treatment of general and malignant hematology patients in a tertiary care setting and malignant hematology in our regional centre.
- An in-patient consultation service – the diagnosis and therapy of hematological issues in medical and surgical patients.
- Out-patient clinics (hematology, pediatric) – this includes general hematology, malignant hematology, as well as a hemophilia clinic. Each resident also has a continuity care clinic held in conjunction with one staff hematologist.
- Pediatric Hematology rotation – including ward in-patient, consultations, and outpatient clinics.
- Laboratory training in Hematology – this consists of basic laboratory hematology, including blood banking, morphology, coagulation methods, and lymph node pathology.
- Bone Marrow Transplantation rotation – as we do not have an allogeneic bone marrow transplant program here in Edmonton, 1-2 months are spent at the Foothills Hospital in Calgary or another allogeneic transplant centre in Canada.
- Research – A minimum of 1 month devoted to development and completion of a research project on a resident chosen hematologic topic. Basic research or clinical projects could be pursued with members of the Hematology Division or, alternatively, from cooperating yet related faculties in Edmonton. The project again would have to be well defined and capable of completion with a view to publication or presentation in a specified length of time.
- Electives – Electives are tailored to the trainee’s expectations and needs. It will be reasonably flexible and a variety of options would be acceptable. Further laboratory experience could be arranged in any of the specialty laboratory areas including cell markers, transfusion medicine or lymph node pathology. Additional transplant experience in either the autologous or allogeneic setting could also be arranged.
- Academic Half Day – held in conjunction with the University of Alberta’s Hematopathology Postgraduate Training Program.