The Division of Nephrology at the University of Alberta offers a one-year residency training program in home dialysis therapies (peritoneal dialysis and home hemodialysis). The aim is to provide the nephrology resident, upon completion of core nephrology residency training, more focused clinical training, as well as opportunity to develop research interests and teaching skills relevant to these disciplines.
Overview of Program Content
The one-year training program will feature a combination of:
- Clinical exposure, including:
- Rotations in the peritoneal dialysis unit, reviewing patients in the outpatient clinic setting and addressing daily nursing concerns pertaining to patient care
- Ongoing coverage of the home hemodialysis unit, reviewing patients in training, prevalent patients in a weekly outpatient clinic and addressing patient/nursing concerns as they arise.
- Development of dialysis access knowledge via attendance at monthly access clinics and access round
- The trainee will obtain teaching experience via provision of lectures to nursing staff and core nephrology trainees
- The trainee will be paired with a research mentor to aid in completion of research projects relevant to the field including quality improvement/assurance projects.