Academic activities in the Public Health and Preventive Medicine program exist in parallel to clinical rotations. A Public Health and Preventive Medicine resident office and library are located in the Division of Preventive Medicine in the University of Alberta. Medical library resources including PDF documents are maintained in the University of Alberta library. An academic half day is organized throughout the year, which follows a two-year rotating schedule. These sessions include electronic based learning sessions, didactic lectures, teleconferences, and field trips. Topics, reference materials, and schedule are maintained by the program coordinator. A monthly journal club, journal club articles, and critical appraisals of past journal club articles are maintained by the program coordinator.
Other related academic activities available through the Faculty of Medicine include:
- Infectious diseases case presentation (1100 to 1200 hrs every Thursday)
- Public Work Health series of continuing medical education for Alberta medical officers of health (monthly from Sept to June)
- Public Health Sciences Department Grand Rounds (every Wednesday from Sept to June)
- Clinical Epidemiology rounds in the department of Public Health Sciences (monthly from Sept to June)
- Statistical Seminars in the department of Public Health Sciences (monthly from Sept to June)
- Seminars in ethics and Law (bimonthly from Sept to June)
- Academic half day in Occupational Medicine (weekly Friday mornings)
- Off-service rotation-specific academic half day.