The Rheumatology program is a 2 year program, divided into 13 four-week blocks per year. Candidates must have completed at least 3 years of core internal medicine training prior to starting their subspecialty training. Residents must have LMCC Part 2 for application.\
The first year of the program has its emphasis on clinical rheumatology.
- Residents will complete rotations at the University of Alberta Hospital, our academic setting. Here, residents will participate in regular out patient clinics as well as help lead the rheumatology consult service. Rotating resident and medical student education is also important, with expectations to teach both physical examination skills and approaches to rheumatic diseases.
- Residents will complete community rotations with one of 6 participating rheumatologists, attending clinics regularly and completing consults at the community hospitals.
- Residents will complete 1-2 months of pediatric rheumatology.
- Other off-service rotations include sports medicine, orthopedics, & physiatry.
The second year of the program is more flexible. Residents have the opportunity to focus on more clinical experience, complete electives in areas of interest, research and/or QI projects.
- Call is home call only, with the maximum call of 9 days per block. Call is remunerated as per the Resident Association contract.
- Weekly Academic Half Day
- Monthly Journal Club
- Monthly City Wide Rheumatology Rounds, discussing interesting and/or difficult cases
- Monthly Radiology Rounds, held in conjunction with our MSK radiologists
- Weekly Internal Medicine Grand Rounds
- Rheumatology Morbidity and Mortality Rounds
- Small group Undergraduate MSK teaching
- Rotating Resident Education
- National and International Conferences with financial support, including but not limited to the annual CRA meeting & ACR meetings, Western Rheumatology Meeting, National Rheumatology Resident’s weekend.
- Regular formative written and clinical examinations to evaluate progression and for Royal College exam preparation
- Regular feedback from the Program Director
- Portfolios with CanMEDs and regular reviews with Program Director