The Research and Ethics Management Online (REMO) system is being renamed and rebranded in mid-January.
Initially designed to support the Human Research Ethics Boards and Animal Care and Use Committees, the system now includes modules for NIH Conflict of Interest and Environment Health and Safety (Radiation, Chemical and Bio-safety).
To reflect the wider uses of the system, REMO will be renamed ARISE - The Alberta Research Information System. The rebranding will not affect how you use the system. The web address will be changed, however will be redirected to the new web address (from "remo.ualberta.ca" to "arise.ualberta.ca").
All research involving human subjects conducted by members of the Department of Medicine (DoM) must be approved by the Health Research Ethics Board (HREB) prior to the study beginning. This ensures that appropriate steps are taken to protect the rights and welfare of humans participating as subjects in a research study.
If you are a new researcher within the University of Alberta, please complete the following steps:
- Register with REMO (Research Ethics and Management Online) system using a valid CCID and password.
- To begin your REMO registration, click here. This will take you to the registration page where you will create your profile. Complete the form and be sure to select “Medicine” in the field titled, “Internal Review”.
- Register for the REMO User Training.
REMO also provides helpful tutorials and tips sheets including how to register to use REMO, create an application, revise an application, respond to reviewer notes, and much more.
For more information:
Please note: An internal review is conducted by the DoM prior to your application going forward to HREB.The DoM does not grant ethical approval for studies. The body that grants ethical approval is the HREB.
Below outlines the steps which are necessary for obtaining Department Approval for Ethics Applications:
- The PI completes and signs an “Ethics Internal Approval Request Form” and uploads the signed version to REMO in subsection 11.0 Other Documents under section 7.1 Documents.
- Be sure to read and answer each point carefully.
- After submitting your application, the DoM Internal Reviewer receives and reviews the REMO application and either requests changes or issues approval.
- Once approval is issued, the Chair/Delegate approves the application via REMO. The application is then automatically forwarded to HREB for review.
- HREB will notify the PI of the panel’s decision.
Please remember that students (Postdoctoral Fellows, Postgraduate Medical Education Fellows, etc.) are not eligible to apply as a PI when submitting REMO applications to HREB. Students must be listed as a co-applicant. For more information, please contact Team Lead, Office of Research at email@example.com