The Office of Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME) operates within the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry. They represent postgraduate medical education at the University of Alberta through residency and fellowship programs.
These programs are supervised clinical and or research training programs offered to post-MD trainees that are not creditable towards fulfilling certification eligibility requirements of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) or of the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC). All fellows must be registered with the PGME Office at the University of Alberta.
Please review the fellowship guidelines for more detailed information.
The information below is for appointing a Research Fellow Only!
Appointing / Reappointing a PGME Research Fellow
- Please complete in full a . Note: Please ensure to use the latest version.
- Please complete in full a PGME Fellows Offer Letter.
- Please send the registration form for research fellows and PGME Fellows offer letter to the Department of Medicine Office of Research with the enclosed documents for the Chair’s signature:
- Candidate’s CV
- Detailed Description of the Training Program
- Confirmation Letter if Externally Funded
- Non-Ministry Funding Form (if paid through Alberta Health Services, Medical Affairs)
- Evidence of English Language Proficiency (if applicable)
If paying through Alberta Health Services, Medical Affairs, there is an additional 16.32% on top of the regular salary for benefits, admin fees and STAT deductions (CPP, EI and WCB).
Please ensure to complete the non-ministry funding form.
If paying through the University of Alberta, there is an additional 7.91% on top of the regular salary for STAT deductions (CPP, EI and WCB). There are no benefits provided.
International fellows will have to follow the immigration process and a Foreign Visitor Category Assessment Form is completed. This form is completed by the PGME Office upon receiving your complete registration package stated above.