Those requesting a change of category from MSc to PhD are required to submit a MSc Change to PhD Application Package to the Graduate Coordinator(s) along with the "Recommendation for Change of Category or Academic Standing" form which can be obtained from the FGSR at:
or from the Education Advisor.
Change of Category Requirements
- For current MSc students in the Department of Medicine:
- A minimum of 2 Master’s courses must be completed before transferring
- The student will have a minimum GPA of 3.0. This GPA will be based on at least two courses completed in their Master’s program
- Must have spent a minimum of one full year in their Master’s program with satisfactory performance
- For current MSc students NOT in the Department of Medicine:
- One year of a Master’s program must be completed in the Department of Medicine before they are eligible to apply for a Change of Category and all the conditions listed above are met.
The MSc Change to PhD Application Package consists of the following:
- Student's academic transcripts
- Record of courses taken, course in progress and courses proposed in the PhD program.
- Supervisor's source of research funding, including agency name, duration and amount and/or student's source of personal funding, including agency name, duration and amount.
- Proposed timeline of the PhD Program, including the proposed project's contribution to science and medicine and a list of any publications.
- The supervisory committee's statement confirming the scope, rigor, relevance and quality of the research project with a sign off page attached indicating approval of the proposal by supervisor and supervisory committee members.