Why Choose Drama at UAlberta?
We are what you need
A Place for Professionals:
The presence of professional faculty and guest artists creates a rich mix of teaching, research, and professional practice that students engage with.
Small class sizes allow for maximum contact between students and professors and encourage collaboration between students.
- 12 actors in the BFA Acting program in each year.
- 6 spots in the BFA Technical Theatre Production, Technical Theatre Stage Management and Theatre Design programs in each year.
- Highly competitive MFA programs with only 2 to 3 students in each area.
- 6 spots in the MA program in each year.
- BA Drama Studio courses are “capped” to ensure high quality student experience.
Interplay with other programs and the Professional Theatre Community:
A lively interplay between our 7 undergraduate programs and 6 graduate programs enriches the UAlberta student experience beyond the scope of any one program, offering a broad exposure to all aspects of theatre.
The departments engagement with local theatres offers many opportunities.
- A wide range of resources support student work.
- 4 diverse theatres: 300-seat proscenium (Timms Centre for the Arts mainstage)
- flexible Timms black box (Second Playing Space)
- thrust (Corner Stage) in the Fine Arts Building (FAB)
- a black box (Bleviss Laboratory Theatre) (FAB)
- studio and rehearsal rooms
- access to exceptional wardrobe and props collections
- lighting and tracking systems, video and sound equipment, sound booths