1. To apply for the MFA Directing program, please click here and review steps 3, 4 and 5 on that webpage.
2. To submit your online application, there are two steps:
Step 1: Click the “Apply Now” button, upload your Letter of Intent (outlining why you want to pursue a professional directing degree, where you see yourself after this program, and any other articulation of your ambitions, skills experiences and interests) and Curriculum Vitae/Resume and submit your $100 (Canadian) processing fee online by January 5, 2018.
Step 2: Applicants selected to proceed onto Step 2, will be contacted and invited to submit a complete application by February 2, 2018. A complete application includes:
- A Letter of Intent (submitted in Step 1).
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume (submitted in Step 1)
- Official transcripts from all universities attended. International applicants must provide an official, original language copy of their transcript (with an accompanying official English translation), as well as an original language copy of their degree certificate (with an accompanying English translation).
- You will need to request one set to be sent directly to you that you will then scan and upload into your application.
- If admitted, you will then need to request a second set of official copies to be sent directly to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research. (Do not request this second set until you are admitted to a graduate program and prompted to do so by the FGSR.) Please consult the transcript guidelines posted here.
- 3 letters of recommendation.
- You will be asked to submit contact information for your referees in your on-line application.
- Referees are prompted by the application system to submit their reference electronically when your application is complete and the processing fee is paid.
- Portfolio including commentary and/or documentation of your theatre work.
- Directorial preparation of one of these plays: Hedda Gabler (Ibsen), Silence (Moira Buffini), Harlem Duet (Djanet Sears), East of Berlin (Hannah Moskovitch), or Stone and Ashes or In the Eyes of Stone Dogs (Daniel Danis). The directorial preparation should include a production concept, a study of major characters, story and/or dramatic action, with emphasis on one or two key scenes. It is not necessary to include a prompt book. The portfolio should be in PDF format. If it is under 5MB it can be uploaded to the online application. If it is larger than 5MB it can be sent directly to the Department of Drama, either on CD or by e-mail in a PDF file to:
Department of Drama
3-146 Fine Arts Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB T6G 2C9
- For international applicants, English Language Proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, etc) test results, when applicable.
- Information on the English Language Proficiency requirement and exempted institutions, can be found here here. The Department of Drama will not accept scores that are lower than the minimum scores posted.
3. Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email from the online application system with an embedded link that allows you to log in and view the status of your application in the submitted applications portal.
- Use the same email address and log in that you used to create your application to access your application via this link.
- Until you are admitted and have accepted an offer, please communicate with us regarding the status of your application via the Communications tab within your application.
- Log in frequently, because your application is where the results of your application will be communicated to you.
Short listed applicants will be interviewed by phone, Skype or in person.
The MFA Directing Coordinator (Beau Coleman) would be pleased to discuss the program and facilities with you. You can reach her at: email@example.com