1. To apply for the MFA Theatre Design program, please click here and review steps 3, 4 and 5 on that webpage. To submit your on-line application, click the “Apply Now” button. Upload all required documents listed below and submit your $100 (Canadian) processing fee online by February 2, 2018.
2. The required application documents are:
- Official transcripts from all universities attended. International applicants must provide an official, original
language copy of their transcript (with an accompanying official English
translation), as well as an original language copy of their degree certificate
(with an accompanying English translation).
- You will need to request one set to be sent directly to you that you will then scan and upload into your application.
- If admitted, you will then need to request a second set of official copies to be sent directly to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research. (Do not request this second set until you are admitted to a graduate program and prompted to do so by the FGSR.) Please consult the transcript guidelines posted here.
- 3 letters of recommendation
- You will be asked to submit contact information for your referees in your on-line application.
- Referees are prompted by the application system to submit their reference electronically when your application is complete and the processing fee is paid.
- Letter of intent outlining why you want to pursue a professional theatre design degree, where you see yourself after this program, and anything else you can say to let us know about your ambitions, skills, experiences and interests.
- Portfolio containing examples of freehand drawing, and any other artwork you may have done. Please include examples of any previous work done in the theatre, in any capacity. The committee is attempting to evaluate your accomplishments as well as your potential. Approximately 25 pieces are sufficient to show your ability. The on-line application allows you to upload up to 5 MB. If your portfolio is larger than this, it can be sent directly to the Department of Drama, either on CD or by e-mail in a PDF file. If you choose to send work done on paper, please do not send originals. Candidates who wish to have their portfolios returned to them will have to make arrangements to do so by post or courier.
- For international applicants, English Language Proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, etc) test results, when applicable.
- Information on the English Language Proficiency requirement and exempted institutions, can be found here. The Department of Drama will not accept scores that are lower than the minimum scores posted.
Any application materials being sent directly to the Department of Drama should be addressed to:
Department of Drama
3-146 Fine Arts Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB T6G 2C9
3. Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email from the online application system with an embedded link that allows you to log in and view the status of your application in the submitted applications portal.
- Use the same email address and log in that you used to create your application to access your application via this link.
- Until you are admitted and have accepted an offer, please communicate with us regarding the status of your application via the Communications tab within your application.
- Log in frequently, because your application is where the results of your application will be communicated to you.