There will be no intake for Fall 2018 of the Theatre Voice Pedagogy program.
1. Anyone interested in applying to the MFA Theatre Voice Pedagogy program, please contact Betty Moulton directly before making any formal application to the University.
2. Application materials include:
• Official transcripts from all universities attended. These are scanned into your on-line application, with paper copies to follow at a later date.
• Curriculum Vitae/Resume
• 3 letters of recommendation
• Letter of intent outlining why you want to teach voice, speech and text, where you see yourself after this program, and anything else you can say to let us know about your ambitions, skills, experiences, and interests--include a description of your previous work as a teacher and coach in a university, college or professional theatre context
• Portfolio which includes reviews or commentaries on your work in performance, coaching or teaching
• Vocal preparation of one of the following plays:
Richard III by William Shakespeare
Major Barbara by George Bernard Shaw
I am yours by Judith Thompson
The Beaux’ Stratagem by George Farquhar
Angels in America: Millenium Approaches (Angels in America) by Tony Kushner
The vocal preparation is a written document that should include a consideration of the challenges the language, physicality and staging may pose for actors, types of warm up necessary, dialect resources if applicable, and suggestions of how you may collaborate with the director. This document should be in PDF format and can be uploaded in the online application under the portfolio tab if it is 5MB or smaller. If it is larger it should be sent directly to the Department of Drama at the address/email provided below.
• Please submit directly to the department a DVD of your teaching and coaching an actor or a class. Include exercises or activities (vocal or speech oriented) that develop some aspect of the actor's vocal life. Include some work on the application of this work to text in your coaching. Please keep it under 15 minutes. DVD’s should be mailed to:
Department of Drama
3-146 Fine Arts Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB T6G 2C9
• TOEFL or IELTS score, if applicable