(Download the BFA Technical Theatre Info Sheet (PDF, 234 KB) for printable version.)
Selection Process (Technical Production and Stage Management):
It is a 2-step process. You must meet both the Academic Requirements and Artistic Requirements.
Academic requirements are assessed by the Faculty of Arts. Artistic requirements are based on interviews and a review of portfolio and additional materials.
How to Apply & Deadlines:
- Request an Interview (download form here) and submit your additional materials (details below under "Additional Materials") – Deadline April 1 (early application is strongly encouraged)
- Apply online to the UofA (Deadline May 1)
- Remember to list all of the grade 12 and grade 11 classes you are taking along with all final grades. The Faculty of Arts will use these grades to calculate your early admission average.
High School Academic Admission Requirements:
All requirements are listed as Alberta courses – see provincial equivalents here: www.admissions.ualberta.ca/requirements/provincial-equivalents.aspx
- You need five (5), 30-level (grade 12) classes (5 credits)
- Of these five classes, no mark can be below 50%
- You must have English Language Arts 30-1
- You must have four (4) other classes from Groups A, B or C.
- Such as: Biology 30, Chemistry 30, Physics 30, Science 30, Mathematics 31, Mathematics 30-1 or 30-2, Computing Science ADV (CTS – 5 credits), Social Studies 30-1, 30-level language other than English, additional 30-level language other than English, one (1) Fine Arts subject.
Example of classes used for admission:
English 30-1 *req’d
Drama 30 or Performing Arts 35 or Technical Theatre 35 or Art 30
IB and AP course work: Visit Admissions Information for more information at www.admissions.ualberta.ca/AP-IB.aspx
Transfer Academic Admission Requirements:
You must meet the academic entrance requirements listed above for high school students and present an Admission Grade Point Average (AGPA) of 2.2 out of 4.0. Applicants who lack the minimum average of five required high school courses will not be considered until they have successfully completed 24 credits transferable to the BA program. Transfer credit may be granted for coursework completed at a recognized postsecondary institution and a minimum final grade of C- must be presented.
International Academic Admission Requirements:
Information is available online through the UofA’s International site: www.studyincanada.ualberta.ca
Submit the following additional materials (postmarked by April 1st – early applications are strongly encouraged):
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- List of grade 12 and grade 11 classes with final/interim marks and unofficial post-secondary transcript(s) (if applicable)
Submit all additional materials directly to DRAMA (additional materials may be dropped off in person, mailed or couriered):
Connie Golden, Undergraduate Advisor
Department of Drama
3-146 Fine Arts Bldg
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB T6G 2C9
Artistic Requirements – Interview:
- Entrance to this program is competitive, with a maximum of 8 spots in each incoming class.
- Interviews will be scheduled once your additional materials have been reviewed and will start as early as February (that’s why early applications are strongly encouraged).
- Interviews will be conducted in person (if you live in the Edmonton area) or over the phone/skype.
- Artistic assessments are based on a review of your additional supporting materials as well as an interview.
- You must have a successful interview AND meet the academic requirements to be offered a spot in the program.