What is the minimum grade point average requirement for graduate study?

The grade point average obtained during the last 60 units of course weight of undergraduate (or graduate) study must be at least 6.5 on the 9-point grading scale used at the University of Alberta or an equivalent standing from another recognized institution. However, beginning September 2003, the University of Alberta will adopt the 4-point grading system, requiring a grade point average of 3.

For more information on international grade equivalencies, see our International Admissions page.

What are the admission deadlines?

The department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences (EAS) suggests applications be submitted prior to mid-February for September admission. Early application is encouraged to ensure maximum opportunity to obtain funding. Please note that EAS admissions are September and January only.

What are the language requirements?

For students whose language of instruction is other than English, EAS recognizes four English language examinations: the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), and the Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Assessment. The minimum acceptable score can be found here

Applicants will need to upload the results as part of their application.

How much is the application fee?

There is a $100 non-refundable application fee.

What type of funding is available?

Teaching assistantships, research assistantships, scholarships, and bursaries are available to eligible students. For further information on funding, please refer to our website at www.ualberta.ca/EAS. Early application is encouraged to ensure maximum opportunity to obtain funding.

Is housing available?

On-campus residences (HUB Mall and Lister Hall) and family residences (Michener Park) are available for prospective students, and we also offer assistance locating off-campus housing. Additional information is available through Housing and Food Services: http://www.residence.ualberta.ca.