The Master of Education in Educational Studies (MES) is a two-year, part-time, course-based program for working educators that facilitates pursuing graduate studies without taking time off work. To optimize the learning experience, the program is cohort-based and endeavours to accommodate regional K-12 schedules.
The program is designed for teachers, educational administrators, and educational leaders who want to enhance their knowledge and practice in the areas of leadership and school improvement. The MES provides students with opportunities to develop educational research skills and apply them in educational contexts of particular interest to them. Highly qualified, enthusiastic faculty ensure exceptional levels of individualized support for all students as they investigate their own topic(s) of educational interest. Students can choose from the following strands:
- K-12 Education
- K-12 International Baccalaureate Education
- Post-Secondary Education
The program is delivered through a blend of face-to-face and online distance instruction:
- Year 1 of the program begins with a 3-week, face-to-face summer residency during which students complete two of the program's eight core courses. Summer residencies typically occur in the first three weeks of July. To optimize the learning experience, pending sufficient enrollment, residencies are offered in a number of regional locations. During each of the following Fall and Winter semesters, students complete an online core course, delivered synchronously, enabling them to work from their home communities at their convenience.
- Year 2 has the same structure as Year 1.
- In addition, students complete two approved electives at their discretion; assistance is available to help students identify courses that align with their educational interests.
Download our MES brochure for more information.
Applications For Admission for the Summer 2018
Applications for admission are open for the following locations in Alberta:
- Edmonton, University of Alberta (Edmonton North Campus)
- Red Deer, Red Deer College
- Grande Prairie, Grande Prairie Regional College
- Camrose, University of Alberta (Augustana Campus)