In order to be considered for the MHSE program, you must meet the following minimum criteria:
- A four-year baccalaureate degree from a recognized university
- with a minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.0 (on the 4.0 grade-point scale) or 6.5 (on the 9 grade-point scale) over the last 60 credits of course work
- instructional experience in a health-related discipline
International applicants may apply, but due to the part-time nature and blended delivery format of this program, students are not eligible for Canadian residency if accepted into the program. International students are required to provide the following documentation:
- an official degree certificate accompanied by official (original) marksheets and an English translation of each marksheet outlining all courses taken and grades obtained for all post-secondary institutions attended
- A TOEFL score of 580 (paper-based) and a score of at least 24on speaking and writing and 20 on reading and listening (Internet-based)
Please have the following files ready to upload to your application:
Statement of Intent (500 - 800 words) outlining your reasons for pursuing a graduate degree, relevance of work and teaching experience, and interest in inter-professional teamwork in education and practice
Scanned official transcript(s) from each post-secondary institution you attended (including incomplete studies, exchange and transfer credit courses).
A Curriculum Vitae
The name and email address of three people who will provide letters of professional recommendation attesting to your academic aptitude and commitment to your profession (Referees will subsequently receive a link that allows them to upload a letter.)
English Language Proficiency documentation (international students only)
Please note: To expedite processing of your application, please save all files using the University of Alberta's file naming conventions.
How to Apply
- Click the yellow “Apply Now” button. You will be redirected to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR) webpage.
Read the “Graduate Application Process: Step by Step” before you click “Apply Now” at the bottom of the page.
Read the "Application Requirements for Academic Documents" before you click "Apply Now" at the bottom of the page.
Create a login account if you are logging in for the first time.
Once you have created an account, choose your program “Health Sciences Education” and mode of study “Part-time”.
Complete the online application