- Entrance Requirements: Applicants should familiarize themselves with the requirements of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research as described in the University of Alberta Calendar, which may be purchased at the University of Alberta Bookstore or is available online: http://www.registrar.ualberta.ca/calendar/
- Masters Programs: MEd students are initially admitted into the course-based route. Applicants to the master's degree must have a four-year bachelor's degree (or equivalent) that has been granted by a recognized academic institution and a minimum grade point average of 3.0 on most 4-point grading systems. Additionally, some specializations may require previous professional experience.
MEd students may apply for a transfer from the course-based program to a thesis-based program after completing a minimum of three courses in the course-based program. Please see Transfer from a Course-Based to a Thesis-Based M.Ed. Program for the procedures to be followed.
EdD (Doctoral) Programs
- Doctoral Programs: The minimum admission requirements for the EdD and PhD are a masters and bachelor's degree from a recognized academic institution and a minimum grade point average of 3.5 on most 4-point grading systems. In special circumstances a student with a GPA lower than 3.5 may be considered for admission. (Pending FGSR approval)
Spaces in the Doctoral program are limited and on a competitive basis. Applicants who meet only the minimum admission criteria are therefore not guaranteed entry to the program.
: Please review FGSR's admission criteria
for this type of program.
For either Master's or Doctoral Admissions:
Non-Canadian applicants who do not possess a degree or it academic equivalent from an academic institution recognized by the Univeristy of Alberta, in which the language of instruction was English are required to take an English Language Proficiency Exam. There are four possible exams that are accepted for this requirement. The Department minimums for these exams are:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) 580 (paper-based) or 93 (internet-based) with a minimum of 24 on the Speaking and Writing Bands of the exam, FGSR's minimum for the Reading and Listening bands of the TOEFL exam is 20
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL) score of 70
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall score of 6.5 with a minimum score of 6.5 on each band
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) score of 88
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 63
An official English Language Proficiency Exam score must be included with the application.
(A list of International universities whose graduates are exempt from this requirement is available through the link below.)