Department of Educational Policy Studies

Graduate FAQ

Q: I registered last year, do I need to register again?
A: Regulations vary according to the program you're in; refer to the Doctoral or Master's Specialization sections of the Department website and/or check with the Graduate Secretary.

Q: Do I have to register for intersession if I am not taking courses but continuing my research?
A : Confirm with the Graduate Secretary to ensure you are maintaining your registration status.

Q: How do I learn who is my Program advisor?
A : When you were sent the 'recommendation for admission letter' this information was included.  You can also check with the Graduate Secretary.

Q: Is it possible to change supervisors?
A: Yes. There are circumstances when a change may be helpful to a student. If you think that a change may be desirable, see the Graduate Coordinator.

Q: What are the rules governing my relationship with the University of Alberta?
A: The Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR) Calendar for the year in which you first registered in your current program is the "final authority" for various matters affecting students. In addition, please refer as well to the Code of Student Behaviour which can be found in the Calendar. This code covers matters relating to individual student or group behaviour that could result in serious fines, expulsion or suspension. It is strongly recommended that all students read this section of the calendar.

Q: How do I register for an individual study course?
A: Application forms and guidelines are available from the Graduate Secretary and the Department website (under Forms). Note that all independent study proposals must be approved by the course instructor, the student's Program Advisor and the Graduate Coordinator.

Q: What are the expectations of the Capping Exercise?
A: The capping exercise (EDPS 900) is a *3-credit culminating course for students in the course-based master's program. In this course students are expected to demonstrate skills of inquiry, reflection and critique and reflect on learning from their graduate experience. They will conduct a research inquiry that may entail analysis of a work-based problem, a critical literature review, a scholarly paper, development of professional or organizational resources, or evaluation of a program and/or policy. The scope and magnitude of the capping exercise will be the same as expected in a 3-credit graduate-level course. When the product is a written document it should be approximately 5000 words in length. Further details can be obtained from the Graduate Secretary or from the Department's website.

Q: Where can I find out about my grades?
A: You can find your grades through the Beartracks system.

Q: If I am not happy with a grade I receive in a course, what should I do?
A: In the first instance, discuss your concern with the course instructor. If this does not lead to resolution of the issue, then see the Graduate Coordinator, who will suggest further avenues for you to consider.

Q: Whom should I notify if I have a change of address?
A: Change your address through the Beartracks system and contact the Graduate Secretary.

Q: Where can I find accommodation?
A: Various kinds of accommodation are available for both single and married students. Students interested in living off Campus may contact the Housing Registry at the Students & Union Building (SUB) for a list of available housing. Phone 492-4212 or try their website at: Available Housing. Those who prefer to stay on Campus should contact Housing Services (44 Lister Hall, 492-4281).

Q: I am a foreign student. Do I need health insurance?
A: Yes. You cannot get medical treatment without it. Foreign students must contact the Health and Dental Plan Office, Room 6-14 SUB.

Q: What about Canadian students from other provinces?
A: Alberta Health Care has a reciprocal arrangement with Canadian provinces except Quebec (who opted out) whereby patients simply present their home-province healthcare card prior to service. Quebec residents can try presenting their healthcare card and, if it is not accepted, they will need to pay the doctor or facility prior to service and seek reimbursement from the Quebec plan directly. For details, contact Alberta Health Care by phone (427-1432) or see the web site

Q: Still have questions?
A: Contact your Program Advisor or the Graduate Administrator.