1. What are the deadlines for submitting applications?

June 1st to begin in September, October 1st to begin in January, February 1st to begin in May, April 1st to begin in July. Students are recommended to begin in September to best facilitate course access to finish their program in the shortest possible time.

2. What are the eligibility requirements?

• a four-year undergraduate degree from an accredited institution. A minimum GPA of B over the latest 60 courseweights.

• Linguistics 101 (can be taken as a co-requisite to the program)

NOTE: Students taking EDPY 416 in Intersession must have already completed LING 101.

3. What are the language requirements for persons whose first language is not English?

• See Program Plans A and B above.

4. Why do I have to take Linguistics? Does teaching experience count in its place?

An introductory Linguistics course is required of everyone. Linguistics provides students with an understanding of both the universal and unique aspects of language.

5. How long does it take to complete the program?

The diploma can be completed in a period of 8 months if an individual begins in September and attends full-time. Students have up to 4 years to complete the diploma on a part-time basis. However, students must register at least once in every September to August period to keep their program active. A lapsed program will require an application for readmission before further registration can take place.

6. Can I apply courses from my Bachelor's program to the diploma program?

The University does not allow students to use one course to apply to two credentials. In other words, if a course counted towards your Bachelor's or any other degree, it cannot count towards your diploma. A substitute course from the option list should be chosen instead.

7. If I take a course as an Open Studies student, can it be applied toward the diploma?

Yes, but a minimum of 12 courseweights (4 three-credit course equivalents) must be completed while registered in the diploma.

8. How much does the diploma cost?

Contact the Registrar's Office for tuition cost information.

9. Can I use non-credit courses towards the diploma?

Non-credit courses cannot be substituted for credit courses. If you are interested in taking a short non-credit course for interest's sake, there are short courses available at both MacEwan University and NorQuest College.

10. Can I teach Kindergarten to Grade 12 with a diploma in ESL?

In order to teach in Canadian school systems, one must have a valid teaching certificate. The diploma is not a substitute for a teaching certificate.

11. Is a diploma going to get me a job teaching ESL to adults?

No credential guarantees a job. Adult ESL programs have varying hiring criteria. Many require a TESL Diploma or MEd. Contact individual institutions for information on hiring practices.

Diploma Program Plan A satisfies the coursework requirements for TESL Canada Professional Certification: Standard Two. Graduates from Diploma Program Plan B are not eligible for TESL Canada Professional Certification

12. I'm a student in the Secondary BEd program. What courses should I take?

Students in the Secondary Bachelor of Education route should contact Dr. Bill Dunn in the Department of Secondary Education for information.

13. I'm a student in the Elementary Bachelor of Education program. What courses should I take?

Students in the Elementary BEd route should contact Dr. Joe Wu in the Department of Elementary Education for information.

14. How can I find out about jobs teaching ESL?

For positions overseas, the Internet is a good source of information on ESL programs - check sites such as Dave's ESL Café. ATESL and the TESL Canada Websites, and careers.tesol.org list job opportunities. The International Centre in HUB on the University of Alberta campus also has listings. For jobs within Alberta, it is useful to start networking through organizations such as Alberta Teachers of English as a Second Language (http://www.atesl.ca).

15. Where can I get some ESL teaching experience?

There are several community organizations that welcome volunteers. Here is a partial listing:

NorQuest College 780-644-6700 (Westmount Campus), 780-644-5921 (Downtown Campus)

Cultural Connections Institute - The Learning Exchange 780-944-0792

The Mennonite Centre for Newcomers 780-424-7709

Student Volunteer Campus Community 780-450-9624

International Centre, University of Alberta 780-492-1134