Master of Education in Educational Studies (MES)

Pair of laughing MES Students
Concentrating MES Student
Group of MES students in class
Smiling MES student looking to the side

Why Choose UAlberta’s Faculty of Education?

The Faculty of Education supports ongoing professional learning for educators through a variety of courses and programs. Your credentials will be recognized worldwide, and you will learn with and from the best! Consistently ranked among the top four faculties of education in Canada, UAlberta’s Faculty of Education is home to award-winning teachers, internationally recognized researchers, educational innovators, and community leaders.

Principal and Superintendent Certification

On September 01, 2019, Alberta Education’s Leadership and Superintendent Leadership Quality Standards come into effect. The following courses satisfy the educational requirement for leadership certification:

For Principals and other School Jurisdiction Leaders:

  • EDU 520 (also offered as EDU 597) Foundations of School Leadership

  • EDU 521 (also offered as EDU 597) School Leadership: Theory into Practice 

    • EDU 520 is a prerequisite

For Superintendents and other System Leaders:

  • EDU 523 System Leadership: Theory and Practice 

    • EDU 521 is a prerequisite 

Please contact for more information.

Master of Education in Educational Studies (MES)

The MES provides you with the opportunity to complete an M.Ed. without taking a leave from your career. You can integrate your area(s) of educational interest throughout your studies while you explore the challenges and opportunities associated with facilitating educational improvement. The program is blended and cohort-based. Highly qualified, enthusiastic faculty ensure exceptional levels of individualized support for all students.

A typical cohort includes educational practitioners from K-12 and higher education classrooms, administration, and leadership—some with the required two years of teaching experience and some with considerably more. Some have aspirations of formal leadership while others want to lead educational improvement from the front of the classroom. This diversity supports rich learning conversations, where students routinely share experiences, ask tough questions, and collaboratively build new insights about educational improvement.

Partnership with the International Baccalaureate Organization 

The University of Alberta is one of only four Canadian universities that is IBO recognized to offer programs of graduate-level study leading to an IB Advanced Certificate in Teaching and Learning Research and one of only two Canadian universities authorized to offer programs of graduate-level study leading to an IB Advanced Certificate in Leadership Research. IB educators who complete the MES are eligible to register with IBO to obtain one of these two certificates.