Our core program of 8 courses, including non-instructional fees, costs approximately $18,000.
What We Provide
Our priority is to enhance your learning experience.
To support you in investigating your areas of educational interest, the MES is delivered by outstanding faculty with a broad range of educational interests and strong backgrounds in graduate student support. They understand the challenges of working and studying at the same time; they will work with you to successfully meet course expectations and your learning goals.
To support high levels of student engagement, we ensure that class size and course structure promote collaborative inquiry, robust discussion, and reflection on practice.
To free up time for your studies,
- We register you in all your courses.
- We provide assistance in identifying courses that align with your educational interests.
- We provide assistance with FGSR processes.
- We provide technical assistance.
In addition, we provide 1-business-day turnaround on all MES student inquiries.
- Texts are not included in the program cost; however, the cost of texts is not prohibitive as
- several courses provide all readings within eClass
- most texts are available for purchase in digital format, providing an affordable alternative to print versions
- some texts are available to borrow from the University of Alberta library system (print or digital format)
- some texts are used for more than one course
Two FGSR-approved electives are not included in the program cost. Generally, graduate level courses range from $700 - $1,800 per course, depending on the institution, location, and mode of delivery. We can help you shop for courses that align with your educational interests and budget. Contact the MES Grad Secretary for assistance in selecting your electives. If you have already completed two graduate-level courses, contact the MES Grad Secretary to determine whether the courses can be approved and applied the program.
Because the MES is a part-time, course-based program, students generally do not qualify for University of Alberta scholarships. However, many of our students qualify for funding through their local school division or receive scholarships through external sources such as the Alberta Teachers Association.