Now accepting applications!
Please note that the Early Childhood Education Certificate program starts in July of each year, also known as the "Summer Term". Students must take their first course in the program in this term.
On this page:
To be eligible for admission into the Early Childhood Education Certificate program, applicants must:
How to Apply
- Click on "Start Your Application" and follow the prompts. You will have to fill out all information requested by ApplyAlberta. If you are new to ApplyAlberta you will need to create an account and set up your profile.
- Once your ApplyAlberta account has been completed, proceed with clicking the button "Start a New Application" and select "University of Alberta".
- Enter in your personal information and academic history again.
- When you get to the Academic Program tab, please choose the following:
- July 2019 for the "When do you wish to begin attending?" query.
- Degree or Diploma student for the "What is your intended start date?" query.
- Faculty of Education for "Faculty".
- Certificate in Early Childhood for "Degree".
- Early Childhood Education-Cert for "Major".
- Complete the rest of the application, the Declaration and payment.
Supporting Documents - Due April 1
Applicants to the program will be asked to submit the following documentation:
official post-secondary degree transcripts demonstrating that a degree has been awarded,
most recent post-secondary transcripts, if they are from a different institution than the one that awarded the degree (optional), and
a letter of intent; click here for the Google Form submission system.
Completed applications will be reviewed by ECE University Certificate Admission Committee for the Summer intake. Failure to submit all supporting documents will result in withdrawal of your application from consideration.
Certificates will be awarded for the successful completion of the designated courses within the Certificate and with a final grade point average of 2.0 or above. Certificates must be completed within four years.
Tuition and Funding
For the 2017-2018 academic year, tuition is approximately $1200/course and there will also be additional non-instructional fees for Off Campus- Part time students. We expect tuition and fees may increase in future years.
Applicants currently teaching in schools and early childhood settings may have access to professional development funds to support tuition fees.