Frequently asked questions about the Early Childhood Certificate program are split into three categories:

Questions about Program

Questions about Admission

Questions about Career Opportunities

Questions about Program

What is the intent of this certificate?

The certificate is for people who already have a degree. Those who have a BEd will be able to teach K to 6 with or without a certificate. The certificate itself does not give teaching credentials. It is meant to enhance knowledge in the area of Early Childhood Education and the primary audience is expected to be in-service teachers who are asked to teach earlier grades ( K to 3) but don't have an ECE specialization or any course work.

For those who don't have a BEd, but have degrees in related fields, the certificate will build the knowledge they are lacking to work in non-institutional or non-school environments (i.e., day homes, after school care, summer programs, etc.) with children ages 3 to 8.

What is the definition of "early childhood" as it relates to the certificate?

Early childhood is defined by UNESCO as the years between 0 and 8. Therefore, the certificate will address the learning needs of the children of that age. Many school districts are now offering JK/pre-K classes and the need for teachers with specialized knowledge in ECE to teach such classes is expected to increase.

Is ECE Level 1 Certificate available at your institution?

The ECE Certificate offered at the University of Alberta is a post-baccalaureate, undergraduate certificate. Having a three- or four-year degree from an accredited post-secondary institution is one of the requirements.

The ECE Certificate is not intended to meet any of the requirements of the Government of Alberta.

When can I take my first class?

All students must take their first course in July - the Summer Term - of the year they are admitted.

Is there a time limit on how long a student has to complete the program?

Yes-- four years.

What are the requirements for maintaining program status?

Students do not need to be enrolled in a course every semester, however they must take at least one course in a 12-month period. For further information, please consult the University Calendar.

Is there a practicum?

There is no practicum requirement for the ECE Certificate we offer.

I have already taken EDEL 355, 404 and 457 as part of my undergraduate degree at the University of Alberta. Can I transfer these to the Certificate?

Former University of Alberta students who have completed one or more of the University Certificate courses may ladder up to *9 credits (EDEL 355, 404 and 457) into the *15 credit Certificate.

Please note that applicants who completed equivalent courses at another institution may also ladder these credits into the University Certificate.

In semesters where more than one course for the ECE Certificate are offered, how many courses are students allowed to register in?

There is no requirement for students to take only one course at the time. This is a part-time program so students should not expect to finish it in one year. If we offer two courses a semester, students are welcome to enroll in both.

Difference between the ECE Diploma and the ECE Certificate

The Diploma is a mix of undergraduate and graduate courses while the courses in the Certificate are strictly at the undergraduate level (even though it is a post-baccalaureate certificate). The Certificate program is only part-time. For more information, please contact Dr. Anna Kirova.

Questions about Admission

I have an international degree in a related field and took some English language courses at the Faculty of Extension. Does this satisfy the Admission Requirements?

The completion of EAP145 at the Faculty of Extension will not satisfy the English language requirements. Please check the University of Alberta Calendar for the English Language Requirements.

You may meet this requirement by completing three (or more) years of full-time study in a recognized country or institution where English is the official language of instruction. Proof of attendance in the form of official transcripts is required. This requirement may also be met by completing a standardized English proficiency test such as TOEFL IBT or IELTS. For more details on ways to meet this requirement, please visit the University Calendar.

For more information, please visit our Admissions Requirements page.

I hold a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Concordia University and am currently finishing my first year of Early Childhood Education at Assiniboine Community College. Would I be eligible for this certificate and would the first year of my college diploma would count as credits?

Yes, if your degree is from a recognized institution, you are eligible to apply for the Certificate. However, the University of Alberta wouldn't have any agreements with institutions outside of Alberta. Since education is provincial, agreements are bounded by province. To determine if we allow transfer credits we usually see if colleges have transfer agreements with institutions in their own province, but there might be other rules that apply.

Questions about Career Opportunities

What kind of careers would this certificate expose me to?

This certificate is not a certification. It is meant for professionals who need or want to get more coursework in Early Childhood Education and have it recognized on a transcript.

Would the ECE certificate allow people to open up a daycare?

Potential students need to know that the University of Alberta will not issue the equivalency certificate. The ECE Certificate is not intended to meet any of the requirements of the Government of Alberta.

Any questions about certification must be directed to the Government of Alberta.

After completing all the courses in the ECE Certificate, what level of certification should we expect to receive from the Government of Alberta's Child Care Staff Certification?

The ECE Certificate is not intended to meet any of the requirements of the Government of Alberta.