Welcome to the University of Alberta Department of Emergency Medicine webpage. We are very proud of the educational, research and other programs of our academic Department of Emergency Medicine. We hope our webpage provides you access to information about the various activities and accomplishments of our department.
We are very proud of our Royal College and CFPC-EM Emergency Medicine residency programs. We take great pride in our outstanding group of Emergency Medicine residents and are very appreciative of the high level of commitment that our excellent clinical faculty provide in supporting our residency and undergraduate Emergency Medicine programs.
Our research programs have focused on a spectrum of clinical and health service research topics highly relevant to the delivery of emergency care. Our research programs have supported a spectrum of trainees from summer students to graduate students.
We welcome the CaRMS applicants to our Emergency Medicine residency program. We encourage you to talk with our residents and faculty, as well as visit our website, to learn more about opportunities in Emergency Medicine at the University of Alberta and to find answers to your specific questions.
Thank you very much for visiting our website.
Brian R. Holroyd, MD, MBA, FRCPC, FACEP, FCFP, CCPE
Professor and Chair
Department of Emergency Medicine
University of Alberta
To optimize and advance the provision of emergency medical care though excellence in research, education, and community service.
In support of the mission, the Department of Emergency Medicine is influenced on a daily basis by the following set of core values:
- Maintain the highest level of patient care and advocacy by providing state of the art medical treatment, evidence-based medicine and professionalism
- Maintain a strong research focus, facilitated through leadership and infrastructure support
- Maintain a constructive and safe learning environment that provides the highest standards of education to all learners
- Maintain an environment that holds equity, fairness and respect in the highest regard
- Appropriate utilization and distribution of faculty resources throughout the region
- Recognize and value its most important sources of strength: it's faculty members, support staff, residents and other learners
- Maintain a strong community presence through education promotion and awareness
- Support the mission of the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry and the University of Alberta through excellence in leadership and responsiveness to community needs