Welcome to the University of Alberta, Department of Emergency Medicine website. For me, autumn has always been a season of beginnings and change. It is the start of a new school year, and that excitement is something I get to relive now through the eyes of my children. As a proud farm boy, it is the start of the harvest and the chance to reap the rewards after a long and arduous journey. It is with that same sense of excitement that I assume the responsibility of being the new departmental Chair. If I’m being totally honest, it’s 3-parts giddy excitement and 1-part abject terror. As I make this transition, I’m struck by the path my life has taken such that I’ve ended up here. At no time in my training did I ever think, “Gee, I can’t wait until I’m the departmental Chair,” and yet here I am.
As I stand looking at the current academic state of our department, I feel like a first time homeowner. Our department has a solid foundation, with great bones. I want to thank Dr. Brian Holroyd for his years of hard work, dedication and stewardship. I have inherited a hidden gem with huge potential. Personally, I would like to thank Brian for being such a wonderful teacher, boss, leader and friend. It would be impossible to count all the ways that you have helped me in my career. Thank you so much for all that you’ve done. I only hope I can return the favor sometime in the future and pass on what you’ve taught me to the next generation.
One of my mentors, Dr. Terry Sosnowski, used to say that sometimes it’s the journey that teaches you a lot about your destination. As we begin this journey together, my hope is that we create a medical community where our shared vision is to become a leading academic department that provides the best care possible for the patients we serve. I want to attract the best and the brightest, not because of what we are doing, but because of why we are doing it. I think it is human nature to overestimate what you can do in 6 months, but grossly underestimate what you can accomplish in 5 years. My challenge to all of you is to join me in building something that will make a difference. Something that will make a difference in the lives of our patients and their families. Something that challenges us, yet motivates, fulfills and validates why we care for patients in their moments of greatest need. Building on the outstanding work that has already occurred, let’s make our academic department better than we found it.
Here’s to a great 5 years!
Bill Sevcik BEd, MD, FRCPC, Founder, Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Site Chief, University of Alberta Hospital Emergency Department
Clinical Professor, University of Alberta
Department of Emergency Medicine & Department of Pediatrics
To optimize and advance the provision of emergency medical care though excellence in research, education, and community service.
In support of the mission, the Department of Emergency Medicine is influenced on a daily basis by the following set of core values:
- Maintain the highest level of patient care and advocacy by providing state of the art medical treatment, evidence-based medicine and professionalism
- Maintain a strong research focus, facilitated through leadership and infrastructure support
- Maintain a constructive and safe learning environment that provides the highest standards of education to all learners
- Maintain an environment that holds equity, fairness and respect in the highest regard
- Appropriate utilization and distribution of faculty resources throughout the region
- Recognize and value its most important sources of strength: it's faculty members, support staff, residents and other learners
- Maintain a strong community presence through education promotion and awareness
- Support the mission of the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry and the University of Alberta through excellence in leadership and responsiveness to community needs