Research interests include industrial and municipal wastewater treatment process development, modeling and optimization. Previous research has included (student researchers names are in brackets):
- Investigation of oxidase and peroxidase enzymes for removal of aromatic compounds (several phenols and endocrine disrupting compounds) from wastewater (Y.Han, J. Grant, K. Ikehata, X. Mao)
- Hydrogen sulfide removal from anaerobic digesters by various sulfide sequestering chemicals and their effect on UV disinfection (R. Chiarella, J. Topnik)
- Removal of colour and other anionic compounds from pulp mill wastewaters using ion exchange (G. Yun)
- Assessing the technical feasibility of treating selected deep-well injection streams for water re-use (T. Jin Sung)
- Using dedicated soil plots to remove nutrients (N and P) from partially treated swine manure (Xiao, J.)
- Assessing the ability of a proprietary electro-chemical technology to remove ammonia from waste streams at the Clover Bar Waste Management Facility (Su, L.).
- Assessing the use of water treatment alum sludge for removing phosphorus from wastewater (T. Hossain)
- Developing improved analytical techniques to measure endocrine disrupting compounds in wastestreams (M. Fernandez)
- Surveying prevalence of EDCs in Western Canada municipal wastewaters (M. Fernandez)
- Assessing and modeling the removal of EDCs and the reduction of total estrogenicity by conventional municipal wastewater treatment (M. Fernandez)
Research Currently in Progress
- Developing artificial neural network process models of preliminary and primary treatment at the Gold Bar wastewater treatment plant (S. Jayaraman)
- Analysis, modeling, and optimization of grit chamber operation (A. Habib)
- Building and calibrating an activated sludge biological nutrient removal model for the Gold Bar Wastewater Treatment Plant (A. Ganesh)
- Bench-scale (Z. Liu) and pilot-scale (R. Singh) investigation of co-digestion of municipal sludge and organic wastes for improved methane production at the Edmonton Waste Management Centre of Excellence Gold Bar site
- Sorption and desorption for treatment of the organic portion of oil sands process affected waters (Md. Z. Rahman)
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
Ikehata, K., Buchanan I.D, and Smith, D.W.(2004) Extracellular peroxidase production by Coprinus species from urea treated soil. Can. J. Microbiol. 50(1). 1-4.
Ikehata, K., Buchanan I.D, and Smith, D.W.(2004) Recent developments in the production of extracellular fungal peroxidases and laccases for waste treatment. J. Environ. Eng. and Sci.3(1), 1-19.
Ikehata, K., Buchanan I.D, and Smith, D.W.(2003) Treatment of oil refinery wastewater using crude Coprinus cinereus peroxidase and hydrogen peroxide. J. Environ. Eng. and Sci. 2(6). 463-472.
Ikehata, K., and Buchanan, I.D. (2002) Screening of Coprinus species for the production of extracellular peroxidase and evaluation of the enzyme for the treatment of aqueous phenol. Environ. Tech. 23. 1355-1367.
Villalobos, D.A., and Buchanan, I.D., (2002) Removal of aqueous phenol by Arthromyces ramosus peroxidase. J. Environ. Eng.. Sci. 1(1), 65-73.
Buchanan, I.D., and Han, Y.-S., (2000) Assessment of the potential or Arthromyces ramosus peroxidase to remove phenol from industrial wastewaters. Environ. Tech., 21, 545-552.
Buchanan, I.D. and Nicell, J.A., (1999) A simplified model of peroxidase-catalyzed phenol polymerization and precipitation. J. Chem. Tech. Biotech., 74(7), 669-674.
Buchanan, I.D. and Nicell, J.A., and Wagner, M. (1998) Reactor models for horseradish peroxidase-catalyzed aromatic removal ASCE J. Environ. Engrg., 124(9), 794-802.
Buchanan, I.D., and Nicell, J.A., (1998) Kinetics of peroxidase interactions in the presence of a protective additive. J. Chem. Tech. Biotech., 72, 32-32.
Buchanan, I.D., Nicell, J.A., (1997) Model development for horseradish peroxidase-catalyzed removal of aqueous phenol. Biotech. Bioeng., 54(3), 251-261.
Nicell, J.A., Saadi, K.W., and Buchanan, I.D., (1995) Phenol polymerization and precipitation by peroxidase and an additive. Biores. Tech., 54, 5-16.
Ikehata, K., Buchanan I.D, and Smith, D.W. (2003). Production of Enzymes for Environmental Applications – A Review. In: Waste Water Treatment Using Enzymes. A. Sakurai (ed). Research Signpost, Kerala India. 40 p.
Buchanan, I. and Leduc, R., (1994). Probabilistic design of multi-stage rotating biological contactors. In: Stochastic and Statistical Methods In Hydrology And Environmental Engineering, Vol. 4, K.W. Hipel and L. Fang, (ed.), Kluwer Academic Publishers. Dordrecht, The Netherlands, pp. 113-125.
Yun, G., Ikehata, K. and Buchanan, I.D., (2002) Colour and chloride removal from kraft pulp mill effluent using ion exchange. CSCE/EWRI of ASCE Environmental Engineering Conference, Niagara ON. July 21-24.
Ikehata, K. and Buchanan, I.D., (2002) Screening of coprinus species for the production of extracellular peroxidase and evaluation of its applicability to the treatment of aqueous phenol. CSCE/EWRI of ASCE Environmental Engineering Conference, Niagara ON. July 21-24.
Topnik, J.M., Smith, D.W., and Buchanan, I.D., (2000) Iron in Wastewater: Effect on Quartz Sleeve Scale. WEFTEC North America 2000. Anaheim, CA. October 14-18.
Stark, H.L., S.J. Stanley, and I.D. Buchanan. (2000) The Application of Artificial Neural Networks to Water Demand Modelling. CSCE 28th Annual Conference, London, Ont. 7-10 June.
Buchanan, I.D., and Nicell, J.A., (1999) Application of a simplified model of peroxidase-catalyzed phenol removal from aqueous solution to continuous flow reactors. CSCE 27th Annual Conference, Regina, Sask. 2-5 June 1999. Volume IV, pp. 231-240.
Buchanan, I.D., and Nicell, J.A., (1997) Kinetic model of peroxidase-catalyzed removal of aromatic compounds from aqueous solution. Proceedings of the CSCE/ASCE Environmental Engineering Conference, Edmonton, Alberta, 22-26 July 1997, pp.1453-1464.
Mao, X., Buchanan, I.D., and Stanley, S.J. (2004). Low temperature wastewater treatment using fungal peroxidases. Cold Regions Engineering. 12th International Specialty Conference. IWCSE/CSCE. Edmonton Alberta. May 16-19.
Ikehata, K. and Buchanan, I.D. (2002) Removal of phenols from oil refinery wastewater with extracellular fungal peroxidase and hydrogen peroxide. American Chemical Society Annual Conference. Boston MA, Aug 18-22.
Chiarella, R., Buchanan, I.D., and Smith, D.W. (2000) Control of H2S in anaerobic digester sludge. 2000 Western Canada Water and Wastewater Association Annual Conference Winnipeg, Man. October 17-19.
Han, Y.-S., Buchanan, I.D., Hahn, A., and Han, M. (2000) Potential application of Arthromyces ramosus peroxidase to the removal of phenol from industrial wastewaters. Korean Society of Environmental Engineers Spring Conference proceedings. Seoul, Korea. May 2000.
Topnik, J.M., Smith, D.W., and Buchanan, I.D., (1999) Iron in Wastewater: Effect on Quartz Sleeve Scale. 1999 Western Canada Water and Wastewater Association Annual Conference Saskatoon, Sask. October 18-20.
Stark, H.L., S.J. Stanley, and I.D. Buchanan. (1999) Water Demand Forecasting Using Artificial Neural Networks. OWWA and OMWA Joint Annual Conference, Ottawa, Ont., Canada., May 16-19,1999.
Nicell, J.A. and Buchanan, I.D. (1996) A mechanistic model for the enzymatic oxidation of aqueous phenols. 12th Eastern Regional Conference, CAWQ (Canadian Association on Water Quality), Burlington, Ontario.
Buchanan, I.D. and Nicell, J.A. (1995) Kinetics of horseradish peroxidase catalyzed phenol removal from aqueous solution. 11th Eastern Regional Conference, CAWQ, Ste. Foy, Quebec, 27 October. p. 2.