* Analysis and design of fuel cell technologies
- Polymer electrolyte fuel cells (PEFC)
- High temperature PEFC
- Solid oxide fuel cells (SOFC)
* Analysis and design of sustainable energy systems
* Integration of energy systems
- Integration of sustainable energy technologies into the electrical grid
- Integration of sustainable energy systems with hydrogen production, storage and fuel cells
- Electrical grid management
* Multidisciplinary design and optimization
- Multi-objective optimization
- Sensitivity analysis
- Shape and topology optimization
- Robust design
* P. Mangal, L. M. Pant, N. Carrigy, M. Dumontier, V. Zingan, S. Mitra and M. Secanell, "Experimental study of mass transport in PEMFCs: Through plane permeability and molecular diffusivity in GDLs", Electrochimica Acta, 167:160-171, 2015
* S. Shukla, K. Domican, K. Karan, S. Bhattacharjee and M. Secanell, "Analysis of Low Platinum Loading Thin Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cell Electrodes Prepared by Inkjet Printing", Electrochimica Acta, 156:289–300, 2015.
* M. Bhaiya, A. Putz and M. Secanell, "Analysis of non-isothermal effects on polymer electrolyte fuel cell electrode assemblies", Electrochimica Acta, 147C:294-309, 2014.
* L. M. Pant, S. Mitra and M. Secanell, "Stochastic Reconstruction using Multiple Correlation Functions with Different Phase Neighbors based Pixel Selection", Physical Review E, 90:023306, 2014
* A. Z. Weber, R. L. Borup, R. M. Darling, P. K. Das, T. J. Dursch, W. Gu, D. Harvey, A. Kusoglu, S. Litster, M. M. Mench, R. Mukundan, J. P. Owejan, J. G. Pharoah, M. Secanell and I. V. Zenyuk, "A Critical Review of Modeling Transport Phenomena in Polymer-Electrolyte Fuel Cells", Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 161(12):F1254-F1299, 2014.
* M. Moore, A. Putz and M. Secanell, "Investigation of the ORR Using the Double-Trap Intrinsic Kinetic Model", Journal of the Electrochemical Society 160(6): F670-F681, 2013
* N. Carrigy , L. Pant, S. Mitra, M. Secanell, "Knudsen Diffusivity and Permeability of PEMFC Microporous Coated Gas Diffusion Layers for Different Polytetrafluoroethylene Loadings", Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 160(2):F81-F89, 2013
* L. Pant , S. Mitra, M. Secanell, "A Generalized Mathematical Model to Study Gas Transport in PEMFC Porous Media" ,International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 58(1–2):70–79, 2013
* L. M. Pant, S. Mitra and M. Secanell, "Absolute permeability and Knudsen diffusivity measurements in PEMFC gas diffusion layers and micro porous layers", Journal of Power Sources, Volume 206, pp. 153-160, 2012.
* P. Dobson, C. Lei, T. Navessin, M. Secanell, "Characterization of the PEM Fuel Cell Catalyst Layer Microstructure by Nonlinear Least-Squares Parameter Estimation", Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 159(5), B1-B10, 2012. DOI: 10.1149/2.041205jes
* L. M. Pant, M. Secanell and S. Mitra, "Modiﬁed Multi-Component Gas Transport Formulation with Phoretic Effects", Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, Volume 11, Number 6, pp.725-742, 2011
* M. Krack, M. Secanell, P. Mertiny, "Advanced optimization strategies for cost-sensitive design of energy storage flywheel rotors", Journal of Advanced Materials 43(2):65-78, 2011
* M .Secanell, J. Wishart, P. Dobson, "Computational design and optimization of fuel cells and fuel cell systems: A review", Journal of Power Sources, 196(8):3690-3704, 2011
* M. Lagravere, M. Secanell, J. Carey and P. Major, "Optimization Analysis for Plane Orientation in Three-Dimensional Cephalometric Analysis of Serial CBCT Images”, Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, 111(6):771-777, 2011
* M. Krack, M. Secanell, P. Mertiny, "Cost optimization of a hybrid composite flywheel rotor with a split-type hub using combined analytical/numerical models", Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 44(1):57-73, 2011
* M. Secanell, R. Songprakorp, N. Djilali, A. Suleman, "Optimization of a proton exchange membrane fuel cell membrane electrode assembly". Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 40(1-6) 563-583, 2010.
* M. Secanell, R. Songprakorp, A. Suleman and N. Djilali, "Multi-Objective Optimization of a Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cell Membrane Electrode Assembly", Energy and Environmental Sciences, 1(3) 378 - 388, 2008.
* M. Secanell, K. Karan, A. Suleman and N. Djilali, "Optimal Design of Ultra-Low Platinum PEMFC Anode Electrodes", Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 155(2) B125-B134, 2008.
* M. Secanell, K. Karan, A. Suleman and N. Djilali, "Multi-Variable Optimization of PEMFC Cathodes using an Agglomerate Model ", Electrochimica Acta, 52(22):6318-6337, 2007.
* M. Secanell, B. Carnes, A. Suleman and N. Djilali, "Numerical Optimization of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Cathode Electrodes ", Electrochimica Acta, 52(7):2668-2682, February 2007.
* J. Wishart, Z. Dong and M. Secanell, "Optimization of a PEM Fuel Cell System Based on Empirical Data and a Generalized Electrochemical Semi-Empirical Model", Journal of Power Sources, 161(2):1041-1055, October 2006.
* M. Secanell, P. Gamboa and A. Suleman, "Design of a Morphing Airfoil for a Light Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Using High-Fidelity Aerodynamic Shape Optimization ", AIAA Journal, 44(7):1550-1562, July 2006.
* M. Secanell and A. Suleman, "Study of Sequential Optimization Algorithms for Application to Aerodynamic Shape Optimization;, AIAA Journal, 43(10):2262-2267, October 2005.