My general research interests are in studying hydraulic and environmental principles and applying them in man-made and natural environments to satisfy human's development needs while minimizing impacts to the environments. My specific interests include:
• Sustainable & Resilient Urban Drainage Systems
• Environmental & Ecological Hydraulics
- Urban Flood Mitigation
- Sewer Odour & Corrosion Mitigation
- Smart/Intelligent Urban Drainage Systems
- Integrated Urban Water Management
- Pollutant Transport in the Environment (Rivers, Lakes, etc.)
- Air-water Multiphase Flow and Its Applications (e.g., Aeration)
- Hydrodynamic Impacts to Fish Behaviors & Fishway Hydraulics
• Environmental Remediation
- Remediation of Polluted or Degraded Water Bodies, e.g., Eutrophic Ponds & Lakes, Rivers with Low Dissolved Oxygen, and Tailing Ponds in Oil Sands Industry
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications/Book Chapters
- Guo, S, Qian, Y., Zhu, D. Z., Zhang, W., and Edwini-Bonsu, S. (2018). “Effects of drop structures and pump station on sewer air pressure and hydrogen sulfide: field investigation.” ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering, 144(3): 04018011.
- Yin, Z.G., Wang, Y. X., Zhang, W. (corresponding author), and Zhu, D.Z. (2018). “Computational study of bubbly jets in stagnant water.” Journal of Hydrodynamics, in press.
- Baki, A. B. M., Zhang, W., Zhu, D. Z., and Rajaratnam, N. (2017) “Flow structures in the vicinity of a submerged boulder within a boulder array.” ASCE Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 143(5): 04016104.
- Qian, Y, Zhu, D. Z., Zhang, W., Rajaratnam, N., Edwini-Bonsu, S., Steffler, P. (2017). “Air movement induced by water flow with a hydraulic jump in changing slope pipes.” ASCE Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 143(4): 04016092.
- Zhang, W., Zhu, D. Z., Rajaratnam, N., Edwini-Bonsu, S., Fiala, J., and Pelz, W (2016). “Use of air circulation pipes in deep dropshafts for reducing air induction into sanitary sewers.” ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering, 142(4), 04015092.
- Zhang, W., and Zhu, D. Z. (2015). “Far-field properties of aerated water jets in air.” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 76, 158–167.
- Zhang, W., Liu, M. N., Zhu, D. Z., and Rajaratnam, N. (2014). “Mean and turbulent bubble velocities in free hydraulic jumps for small to intermediate Froude numbers.” ASCE Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 140(11), 04014055.
- Zhang, W., and Zhu, D. Z. (2014). “Trajectories of air-water bubbly jets in crossflows.” ASCE Journal of Hydraulic Engineering,140(7), 06014011.
- Zhang, W., and Zhu, D. Z. (2013). “Bubble characteristics of air-water bubbly jets in crossflow.” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 55, 156-171.
- Zhang, W., Rajaratnam, N, and Zhu, D.Z. (2012). “Chapter 7 Transport with Jets and Plumes of Chemicals in the Environment”, In: Gulliver J. (eds) Transport and Fate of Chemicals in the Environment. Springer, New York, USA, pp 141-174.
- Zhang, W., and Zhu, D. Z. (2011). “Transverse mixing in an unregulated natural river.” ASCE Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 137(11), 1426-1440.
- Zhang, W., and Zhu, D. Z. (2011). “Near-field mixing downstream of a multiport diffuser in a shallow river.” ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering, 137(4), 230-240.
- Tian, Q., Wang, P. F., Ouyang, P., Wang, C., and Zhang, W. (2009). “Purification of eutrophic water with five submerged hydrophytes”. Water Resources Protection, 25(1), 14-17.
- Wang, C., Zhang, W. (corresponding author), Wang, P. F., and Hou, J. (2007). “Removal of nitrogen and phosphorus in eutrophic water by Jussiaea stipulacea Ohwi.” Journal of Environmental Sciences, 28(5), 48-54.
- Wang, C., Zhu, P., Wang, P. F., and Zhang, W. (2006). “Effects of aquatic vegetation on flow in the Nansi Lake and its flow velocity modeling.” Journal of Hydrodynamics, 18 (6): 640-648.