Researcher: Gurjeet Singh
Partner Company: Stantec
Time Period: Nov. 2012 - March 2013
Summary: Dentistry and Pharmacy building is one of the oldest and most distinctive building in University of Alberta campus with a history dating to 1921. The University of Alberta's Dentistry/Pharmacy Centre began life in 1921 as the Medical Building thanks to a $500,000 grant from the U.S.-based Rockefeller Foundation. “Dent/Pharm,” as it is known today, was the teaching home for the Faculty of Medicine, but as the only building at that time with auditoriums, large courses from other faculties were taught here as well.
This project involved renovation and re-development of all the floor levels in existing structure including building envelope rehabilitation. The scope also covered construction of a four storey atrium, new service courts, addition of new lecture theater and a below grade tunnel to University LRT station. The team at UofA helped Stantec in completing a building information model (BIM) of the existing structure based on the available drawings. It was a challenging task since the available drawings were very old (1922) and a lot of information was missing. A BIM model was also created for the new Atrium structure. The team also created a wood physical model (42" Length; 32" Width; 12" Height) as shown below.
Wood Physical Model
Original Building (1922)
LEFT: West Wing (1946) & RIGHT: East Wing (1947)
LEFT: Centre Wing (1958) & RIGHT: Slowpoke Reactor (1978)