MSc Students: Basel Abdulaal & SangHyeok Han
Partners: Kullman, Hilti North America, TjDyer
Time Period: Sept. 2011 - Dec. 2011
Summary: Mercy Hospital is a new construction project in Cincinnati, OH, USA. This centrally-located site is intended to use as the hub to expand access to acute care, primary care and a variety of outpatient services, including chronic care management in Green Township and throughout western Hamilton County. The approach to modularize the mechanical systems, prefabricate and ship them to installation on site will provide many advantages that modular construction offers, e.i. faster manufacturing and installation, higher quality as the modules will be constructed in a controlled environment, and less expensive alternative as waste generated is at minimal level.
This approach has the following advantages:
- Speed of construction /faster return on investment: modular construction allows for the building and the site work to be completed simultaneously, reducing the overall completion schedule by as much as 50%.
- Indoor construction: Assembly is independent of weather which increases work efficiency and provides quality control.
- Ability to service remote locations: Modular buildings can be built in major towns and delivered to regional areas.
- More environmentally friendly construction process: Modular construction generates less materials waste and less site disturbances than comparable site built structures.
- Control work environment: provides better ergonomics and safety conditions for man power. Those conditions can be hard to provide on typical construction sites.