Pablo's research interests are in the area of automation and vision-based aided (or unaided) robotics, and how this can be applied to building engineering and manufacturing processes.
Pablo is conducting research toward his MSc in Mechanical Engineering here at the University of Alberta in the Mechatronics Systems Lab, working on vision-based algorithms and mimicking controls for UAVs. He has a Bachelor of Science in Electromechanic Engineering, specializing in Electronics and Control Systems at the Universidad Pontificia de Comillas (ICAI), in Madrid, Spain. During his bachelor program, he participated in two summer internships. In 2012, at Izharia ingenieria, he assisted in the design and supervision of electrical substations in Colombia. In 2014, at Helitt Lineas Aereas, he assisted the chief of maintenance and airworthiness of a private airline in Granada, Spain. His final thesis was related to the control of active suspension in 4x4 vehicles.
Pablo's future work involves the implementation of vision algorithms in steel and wood framing machines, focusing on the security and quality issues associated with automatic systems.
- Bachelor of Science, Electromechanic Engineering (2015), Universidad Pontificia de Comillas (ICAI), Madrid, Spain
- Ahmad, R., Al-Hussein, M., and Martinez, P. (2019). “A scientometric analysis and critical review of computer vision applications for construction.” Automation in Construction, 107, 17 pages, doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2019.102947.
- Martinez, P., Ahmad, R., and Al-Hussein, M. (2019). “A vision-based system for pre-inspection of steel frame manufacturing.” Automation in Construction, 97, 151–163.
- Martinez, P., Ahmad, R., and Al-Hussein, M. (2019). “Real-time detection and correction of automatic screw operations in dimpled light-gauge steel framing with pre-drilled pilot holes.” Procedia Manufacturing (Proceedings of the 47th SME North American Manufacturing Research Conference), 34, pp. 798–803.
- An, S., Martinez, P., Ahmad, R., and Al-Hussein, M. (2019). “Ontology-based knowledge modeling for frame assemblies manufacturing.” Proceedings, 2019 International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction (ISARC), Banff, Alberta, Canada, May 21–24, 2019, pp. 709–715.
- Martinez, P., Ahmad, R., and Al-Hussein, M. (2019). “Automatic selection tool of quality control specifications for off-site construction manufacturing products: A BIM-based ontology model approach.” Proceedings, 2019 Modular and Offsite Construction (MOC) Summit, Banff, Alberta, Canada, May 21–24, 2019, pp. 141–148.