Yuan Chen earned both her bachelor's and master's degrees in China, and is now completing her PhD studies at the University of Alberta. Her research interest is facility management, particularly the building facility during the operation phase, which includes integrating resource management into facility operation and maintenance in order to improve utilization efficiency, cost saving, and also to extend the cycle life of the facility.
Yuan's research encompasses lean facility management integrating resource optimization and BIM technology, especially with regard to buildings in occupancy. This includes integrating resource optimization and BIM technology into facility operation and management in order to improve resource utilization efficiency, reduce costs, and extend facility lifecycle on the basis of sustainability and occupant satisfaction.
- Master of Management, Construction Management (2014), Tianjin University, Tianjin, China
- Bachelor of Management, Construction Management (2011), Sichuan University, Sichuan, China
- Chen, Y., Bouferguene, A., Shen, Y., and Al-Hussein, M. (2019). “Assessing accessibility-based service effectiveness (ABSEV) and social equity for urban bus transit: A sustainability perspective.” Sustainable Cities and Society, 44, 499–510.
- Islam, M. S., Chen, Y., Bouferguene, A., and Al-Hussein, M. “Rethinking urban open space distribution for municipal financial sustainability.” Accepted (Sep., 2018) for publication in Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering.
- Chen, Y., Bouferguene, A., Shen, Y., and Al-Hussein, M. “Difference analysis of regional population ageing from the temporal and spatial perspectives: A case study in China.” Accepted (Jun., 2018) for publication in Regional Studies.
- Chen, Y., Bouferguene, A., Li, H.X., Liu, H., Shen, Y., and Al-Hussein, M. “Spatial gaps in urban public transport supply and demand from the perspective of sustainability.” Accepted (Jun., 2018) for publication in Journal of Cleaner Production, 195, 1237–1248.
- Li, H. X., Chen, Y., Gül, M., Yu, H., and Al-Hussein, M. (2018). "Energy performance and the discrepancy of multiple NetZero Energy Homes (NZEHs) in cold regions." Journal of Cleaner Production, 172, 106-118.
- Chen, Y., Bouferguene, A., and Al-Hussein, M. (2018). “Analytic hierarchy process–simulation framework for lighting maintenance decision-making based on the clustered network.” Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, 32(1), 04017114.
- Du, X., Chen, Y., Bouferguene, A., and Al-Hussein, M. “Simulation of elderly egress and fall accidents in apartment buildings using multi-agent based simulation technique.” Accepted (Jun., 2018) for publication in Proceedings, Winter Simulation Conference, Gothenburg, Sweden, Dec. 9–12.
Chen, Y., Bouferguene, A., and Al-Hussein, M. (2018). “Neighborhood design and regional accessibility of age-restricted communities from resilient and spatial perspectives.” Proceedings, Construction Research Congress, New Orleans, LA, USA, Apr. 2-5.
- Awad, H., Gül, M., Ritter, C., Verma, P., Chen, Y., Yu, H., Kasawski, K., Salim, K. E., and Al-Hussein, M. (2016). “Solar photovoltaic optimization for commercial flat rooftops in cold regions.” Proceedings, IEEE Conference on Technologies for Sustainability, Phoenix, AZ, USA, Oct. 9-11.
- Chen, Y., Lei, Z., Han, S.H., Bouferguene, A., Li, H.X., and Al-Hussein, M. (2018). “Applications of discrete event simulation in construction engineering.” In Advances in Engineering Research, Vol. 21, Petrova, V.M. (Ed.), Nova Science Publishers, Hauppauge, NY, USA, pp. 1-44.